Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:06 PM   #31

I've "trialed" the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM recently. No monopod, handheld or otherwise creatively braced, shooting youth soccer in various light. I've also gotten the feel of the f/4 version (non-IS) in the shop. IMO, the f/2.8 benefits from a monopod, while the f/4 can be easily free-handed. In fact, that is precisely one of the f/4 version's virtues. I am 6'3" and about 230#, and, sure, the weight matter is subjective and relative. No way should Canon be crticized for making the collar the choice of the buyer for that particular lens - it keeps the effective cost down.

Any telephoto over about 135mm, esp the faster glass, should not be 'podded from the camera body, unless you want a physics test on mechanical stresses with your beloved equipment. The amount of lens extension/relief into the camera body ought to convince anyone of the need for a telephoto lens collar.
MCTuomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:25 AM   #32

Hey xena45-

Now these guys are done. Did you ever get your answer?
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 2:47 PM   #33

Hi there! Thanks! Yes, they answered my question, and I enjoyed reading all of their comments, too.

Now that I've been using the 70-200mm F4 L lens for a year or so, I just love it! It's an astonishing improvement over the kit lens, I know, it's like comparing apples and oranges, but I was new to the SLR world, and didn't really know how much of a difference it would make. It's well worth the $600 (approx)I paid for it.

Like I said, I usually shoot horse events, and I find that I can hand hold theF4 for 8 hours, get good results and not be too exhausted fromcarrying it all day. I've been shooting with an event photographer, and the lens has more than paid for itself, which is cool. There are times when I wish I had the F2.8 IS lens, but that'll have to wait another year, because.....

I just got my new 20D! Woohoo! I'm very excited about it.I think it looks and feels likea superior machine.I think it'll be a nifty upgrade to the Rebel, which has served me well. I'll be selling iton Ebay.

Thanks again!
xena45 is offline   Reply With Quote