Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 11, 2004, 8:51 PM   #11

This topic has been gone over serveral times here. The only two reasons that I know to absolutely get the 10D over the DRebel are:

If the 10D does something that the other can't do, and those things matter to you.

If you'll go nuts with the DRebel's interface (having one less wheel makes some things harder, but how much is a question you have to decide yourself.)

As to the first point, there are some things that the 10D has more flexability on:

Picking metering modes yourself (10D) vs having them picked for you (DRebel.)
Flash exposure compensation.
9 picture buffer on the 10D vs. 4 picture buff on the DRebel.
3 FPS (10D) vs. 2.5 FPS (DRebel)
3200ISO max (10D) vs. 1600ISO (DRebel)

There are probably others, but I haven't studied the DRebel (I got the 10D before the DRebel was out.) If none of those things make a difference for you, then save the money. As far as I know the sensor and AF system are the same between them. I don't know about the view finder, but I bet it's the same too. There might be noise reduction firmware differences, I don't know.

For me, personally, I would still buy the 10D because I need the deeper picture buffer & frames per second. If my flash didn't have exposure compensation built in, I would want it in the camera. I rarely changed metering modes, but I'd be unhappy if it changed it out-from-under me. I rarely use 3200ISO.. heck, I think I've used it twice in 8 thousand pictures.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 9:28 PM   #12

Eric did a pretty good overview of the major differences between the two. Just to give a DRebel user's take on Eric's post, the metering issue isn't as big as it appears. You CAN determine which metering mode the camera uses, once you understand what is going on. It just isn't as easy and straight forward as it is in the 10D.

I haven't had issues with the burst rate, but then I'm not taking a rapid series of shots.

You get used to doing things with the DRebel regarding the one wheel, so it's an issue only if you're used to something else.

The FEC may be a huge issue to you if you do a lot of flash work, but can be overcome by buying the larger and more expensive 550EX flash. I don't do a lot of flash work and get by just fine with the 420EX.

The 10D is, no doubt, richer in user friendliness and features, but when it comes to the quality of the image produced, there is little difference between the two.

Here's a minor point regarding the DRebel over the 10D. The accessories like the battery grip and the remote shutters available are cheaper than the ones designed for the 10D. Of course, they share many of the same accessories such as lenses and flashes so there is no difference there.

I don't have the answer as to which YOU should buy. It really boils down to what others have mentioned and if those features the 10D offers are worth the $$ difference or you'd rather apply the savings to another lens. For a while, I had considered trading my Rebel in for a 10D, but the more I worked with the Rebel the more proficient I became with it. I will upgrade at some point, but it won't be for a 10D -- the differences aren't that grave for that to me. I'll wait to see what Canon does this fall or take the leap for the higher end 1D Mark II or the 1Ds.

IMHO, you won't go wrong with EITHER camera!
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 9:36 PM   #13

Thank you!! You were both SO helpful!!

DirtyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 2:12 PM   #14

Since you have a Rebel 2000 you'd probably be used to having to deal with the limitations of a digital Rebel. The 10D is to the dRebel as an Elan 7 is to a film Rebel.

The only annoying thing I've found on my 300D is that it defaults back on some settings when it's turned off. I sometimes forget to reset AE bracketting after changing lenses. It's a picky thing, but there it is.

I also strongly suggest that you try the cameras at a camera store. My wife prefers the smaller Rebel to my Elan, the latter is a bit too big and heavy for her hands. Ergonomic issues are as important as any other feature IMHO.

For indoor shoots I'd plan on investing some money in flashes and take advantage of Canon's wireless E-TTL system. For about the same money you could get a 300D plus a few Sigma 500's (550EX clones) for the price of a 10D. Nicer lighting will make more impact on you're pictures than the choice of either dSLR.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 2:11 AM   #15

Here's a link that compares the 300d with the 10d in exhaustive detail.

If you can afford the 10d, buy it. I've never heard anyone that bought the 10d say they wished they would have bought a Digital Rebel.

-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 6:45 PM   #16

Nobody's opinion is needed to know the 10D is a better camera body. The features are also greater in the 10D. The DR gives you the same sensor though and the same picture quality.

I have both cameras, although I just sold the 10D to move up to the Mark II. I find the DR adequate, but I also find myself missing the 10D.

Either camera is probably more camera than 95% of the people who buy them are photographers. So in the end, it takes you to make those great pictures. If I had a choice of only one though, and using both, the 10D would definitely be my choice.

Peter Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 10:43 PM   #17

Originally Posted by eric s
Picking metering modes yourself (10D) vs having them picked for you (DRebel.)
Flash exposure compensation.
9 picture buffer on the 10D vs. 4 picture buff on the DRebel.
3 FPS (10D) vs. 2.5 FPS (DRebel)
3200ISO max (10D) vs. 1600ISO (DRebel)

One more reason - a biggie for sports shooting - is the ability to reprogram the * button to do the autofocus, so when you hold the shutter down half-way it does not change the focus. I tried that for the first time tonight shooting a baseball game and the focus is so much better than I've ever done before.

One BAD thing about the 10D battery grip is that it only uses the BP511 batteries, not the newer 512's. I had extra 512s that I could no longer use with the camera (the DR uses both in the Battery Grip).
azpatrick2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 3:18 PM   #18

I'll kick in my two cents.

I have both.

I am not a pro. I spend my own money (sniff) and my wife reminds me of this very often.

I prefer my 10D because:

1. Its solid. When the shutter goes on my 300d I keep checking to see if the flash sprang up. (it sounds like that)

2. I'm used to the dials. I get jammed on my 300D when I go to change stuff on the fly.

3. I do shoot in darker conditions at times and the expanded ISO mode is a boon.

4. Longer buffer. This is very important when shooting action.

Things I like on my 300D:

1. Cheap remote control trigger
2. Great initial lens with a nice wide field of view.
3. Light... Very nice when climbing around or on long walks.

In terms of image quality I find them to be at par. The price for the DRebel made it a great choice as a backup for my 10D.
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote