Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:58 AM   #1
Default help plz

please tell me if i am taking these in the right format
angels_among_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2004, 2:58 PM   #2

I can answer some of your questions, but a general point first. I'm learning disabled as well, but that doesn't stop me from reading the manual. Sure, there are things I don't get because I don't think in a way that is compatable with the writer(s) who made the manual. But there are many things that the manual does describe fairly well. Give it a try, it is there to help.

There are no “best settings.” Sorry. Settings are situation dependent. So maybe the answer is “Program” mode (“P” on the dial.) In program mode, the camera tries to guess what the best settings are. If you take “usual” pictures… pictures of subjects that fit within the programming of the camera, it will pick the right settings and you’ll have a decent chance of getting the picture right. The problem is that once you try to take a picture which is outside of its programming/understanding, it will probably guess wrong. That is why understandings the basics of photography is a good thing… you know what you are trying to do, the camera can only guess.

But on to your specific questions:

Taking picture of moving things like kids playing requires a high shutter speed (often 1/500th or higher but some situations can go lower.) You didn't give an example of your problem, so I'm going to assume motion blur. Either the subject or the entire scene is blurry and not sharp. Too low a shutter speed is what causes this, but the solutions are many.

To use a faster shutter speed you need more light. The faster the shutter, the less light you’ll get in a given amount of time. So you need a brighter room/subject/whatever to allow enough light to get into your camera in the time the shutter is open. You have to understand that our eyes are much more sensitive to light than the camera is. You might be able to see just fine, but the camera might not. So you have to look at what shutter speed the camera picked and learn how low is too low for what you’re trying to photograph.

Provide more light yourself. Either use a flash or turn on more lights. This isn’t always possible, though. Flashes don’t have amazing range (the built in one can’t reach beyond about 10 feet) so if the subject is too far away, forget it.

Read the section in the manual about the ISO setting. It makes the camera more sensitive to light but it reduces quality (make more noise in the picture.) Well, if you can’t get a good picture with the amount of light that is there, then trading a bit of picture quality for getting any shot at all is worth it.

Read the section of them annual about auto focus. It will explain all about what that box thing is in the view finder.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 2:24 AM   #3

The most important thing in photography is to practice.

It looks like you already have an exceptional model available. The picture of her in the pink dress is very good. A small levels and sharpness adjustment can turn it into a very good photograph that would print very well.

Keep it up...

-jb is offline   Reply With Quote