Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 14, 2004, 5:56 PM   #1
Default Do you carry a backup camera?

I was just wondering if you carry a backup camera with you and if so is it a digital or film camera. I just recently bought a 300D and for now one of my Elan II film bodies will serve as a backup--I'll just stick in a couple of rolls of Velvia. Plan to buy a 10D or whatever else Canon comes out with in the future to use as my primary and have the 300D for backup. Figured I could save money on the front end while I learn all about digital. How about you?
crazycharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2004, 6:17 PM   #2

I usually carry either my film N80 or the digital S7000 with me depending one where/when I am heading along with the 300D.
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 6:18 PM   #3
Default Backup Camera

I only used to carry a backup camera when traveling, the Canon S50 was my backup, but it evolved into my main traveling camera. Everything about it was conducive; small size, folding-prong charger w/dual voltage. I got tired of a camera bag and all the associated gear. Do I miss some great shots, sure, but I used to miss great shots with a full tilt outfit too.
kjosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 7:03 AM   #4
Default Backup Camera

I carry my Nikon Coolpics 5700 - more for quick Macro stuff when I'm out in the fields.

I generally have my 300D hooked up with my Canon 100/400L IS and it is time consuming to swap lenses just for a couple of super close shots.

I can't always count on my Wife and her Kodak 6490 to get what I am looking for.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 8:11 AM   #5

I have had the D-30 for about 1 1/2 years and recently bought/upgraded to the 10D. I use the D-30 as a "back-up", it's still a wonderful piece of equipment and performs superbly. The best thing is that all my lenses,etc. are interchangeable between the two.

For me, it's not a big deal having an extra body along................I like companionship.
Gary Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 10:42 AM   #6

Most of the time my backup is a Canon G2, it uses the same flash, memory and battery as my dRebel. It also gives me the ability to take movies. The G2 fits nicely in one of the lens pockets of my camera bag.

I always carry a second CF card - I've never (knock wood) had my camera freeze up on me but I have had problems with memory cards that didn't get cleared and needed to be reformatted at home. I usually carry an spare battery too, giving me three in total.

If I ever make it to Europe I'll take my Elan 7 and the G2 and the D300.

I specifically built my kit so that I coud reuse lenses, flashes, batteries and memory amongst all three cameras to save weight and space when travelling with backups.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 3:57 PM   #7

I also have a Nikon 3500 and a Nikon 4500. Both a very pocketable and usually one of them goes along as a back up to my 10D outfit. The 3500 is the more pocketable but the 4500 has many more versatile operating features. Both take pin sharp up to at least A4 prints.
geoff.rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 5:00 PM   #8

For years I have always carried 2 cameras (both film). This will be the first time that I will not have a back up camera. The main reason is the cost factor. Right or wrong I plan to stay with one camera right now but will probably add a second digital when money allows.
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 11:29 PM   #9

If you are working for a paying client it always a must to carry a backup body. Whether it's digital or not, is matter of choice. I shoot with a 10D but keep my Canon A2(film) camera in the bag with enough rolls of film to cover whatever I'm working on. Luckily I haven't had to ever use the A2, but it's there if I need it. I'm looking at buying a second 10D, and moving my current body to the back up slot. But regardless, a flm camera is still not a bad option to have in a pinch. Good Luck! Bob
Fotobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 7:07 PM   #10

My Casio 3500 fits in the bag with the 300 quite happily. And I can rob it's Microdrive if I fill up the CFs...

I do keep looking at the prices of EOS film bodies - and my hand twiches to my credit card. But then I'd have to buy film, process it...

I've pretty much Gone Digital. I'll leave a second EOS body until I can afford another digital body - whatever Canon are offering in a year ort two, then the 300D will be backup...

If I need to shoot film, I still have a battery for the Contax...
ccomley is offline   Reply With Quote