Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 19, 2004, 11:55 AM   #11

I jumped into the Rebel after only owning small form factor point and shoots (like the Digital Elph, my previous camera). I was at a point in my picture taking where the auto P&S type cameras were cramping my ability to take certain shots, especially in difficult lighting situations.

I too came down to a choice between the FZ10 and the Rebel. In the end, it came down to the flexibility and low-noise offered by the dSLR. At low light, ISO 400+ was still a relatively low-noise option with the Rebel, but not with the FZ10. The fact that the dSLR was more flexible in terms of external pieces (Flashes, Filters, Lenses) helped make the decision too.

And? I'm absolutely 100% deleriously happy with my decision. The learning curve is steep for sure, but easy to traverse with Digital. I can take shot after shot, look a the Histogram, the review etc., and immediately see if I've totally blown the shot. I personally think that a dSLR is the ultimate learning tool for photography.

For example, I'll take 5-10 shots in a row of the same thing (like yesterday, at a botanical gardens), altering only things like Aperture or White Balance or Flash Exposure Compensation (with my 550EX flash). Later, I can take a look at the shots, see in the EXIF file what settings worked, and what didn't. Fantastic! My shot quality has gone from very poor to good in a fairly short period. Were this film, I'd not be nearly as happy as I'd have a nice pile of blurry, blown-highlight, overexposed and all-black or all-white photos.

Graeme Shiomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 8:39 PM   #12

The 300D can do almost everything that the more advanced (and more expensive) 10D can. But the thing I like about Canon SLR's is their green box full auto mode that lets an absolute novice capture some great shots.

My wife can get some stunning pictures of my son and I, and I can do full manual exposures of waterfalls to get the feel I want.

One thing that almost all digicams give you is the EXIf data. For learning it's the best thing out there. You can look at the shot and look at the exact exposure data in order to critique yourself later. Make sure you do this, it will shorten the learning curve dramatically.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote