Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 9, 2004, 5:43 PM   #1
Default Canon Digital Rebel and Transcend 2.2gb Microdrive

Just got a Digital Rebel as a throw down camera (I have a 1ds and a 10D as well) Using a Transcend 2.2 gb Microdrive, the camera will boot up fine the first time and shoot pictures.. but when U try to turn the camera off, the display on the camera goes off but U can still hear the drive running in the camera. it sounds like its cycling off and on and it never completes spinning down. (only noticed it because the battery was dead the next day after trying few test shots) Also, the camera will not turn back on (display stays dark) with the switch and the drive still exibits the cycling symptom. I tried a 4gb Hitachi drive and it works fine.. I have 2 Transcend 2.2 gig cards both exibit the same problem.. but both work fine in a 10D and a 1ds. Callled Canon and this is the first they have heard of it. Anybody else used the Transcend Microdrives in the Digital Rebel?
engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2004, 6:25 PM   #2

All of those 2.2GB Microdrives are MagicStor drives and they have been nothing but trouble. If you want a Microdrive buy IBM or Hitachi and forget the other brands.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 3:15 PM   #3

This same problem happened to me. I purchased the Magicstor 2.2 GB card for use in my Digital Rebel. The card would work fine until I turned the camera off. Everything would power down except the card...you could hear the motor still churning. It wouldn't stop....nor would the camera turn back on until I physically removed the card and reinserted. The pictures I took, however, were properly captured and stored on the card. I eventually returned the card to the on-line merchant less a $27 restocking charge. I learned the hard way. I now shoot with a 1 GB Hitachi card which works splendidly.
truthinthedetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 5:58 PM   #4

I have a 2.2GB Magicstore in a Casio Qv3000 and works ok except sometimes it runs on as you describe but does eventually stop. I have yet to try it in my 10d but it doesnt sound like it will work. Is it possible to update the cards firmware?
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote