Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 23, 2004, 10:59 AM   #1
Default Problem with EOS 10D, 420EX and studio lights

I have faced a problem, and I hope someone can help me with that.

I used Canon EOS 10D with Canon flash 420EX mounted on it, its flash head turned backwords, as I wanted to trigger studio strobes (with built-in slave units) and not throw its light on the subject. I did'nt get a picture. Studio strobes fired with 420EX, but there was no picture. All I got was black screen. But when I used an old flash of mine (a third party non-dedicated flash) with my EOS 10D camera, of course it triggered studio strobes too, and I got a great picture.

My question is, why could I not get any result with 420EX mounted on my EOS 10D (to trigger studio lights), whereas I got excellent results with the use of a cheap flash (as it triggered studio lights too).

I am sure its got something to do with synchronization, but what?? And how can I get rid of this problem?

Please help me out in this area... Thanx
Tauseef Vehra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2004, 12:06 PM   #2

I'm not sure but I think the 420ex fires a pre=flash to help the camera use TTL metering and exposure. This is probably why the non Canon flash works for this purpose and the Canon dedicated one did not. Try Canon's tech support they my be able to help.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 1:24 PM   #3

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote