Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 14, 2004, 9:03 PM   #21

Hey Eric

Thanks for the burry information about my camera. I do have photoshop 7, but I haven't figured out how to use it yet. I'm surethere will be another class in my future.

Yeah I really am having a ball with this new camera. I just wish it wasn't sooo damn heavy!!

Hey since I have your attention, my birthday is coming up here in August, which lensdo you think would be a great birthday prensent?? I was looking at the 100-400 L lens or maybe the 300 f/2.8? Which one do you think I would use more often? Well, let me rephase that, which one would you use more often? I would like to stay under $2,000. Of course, I would like to be even less than that if possible.

Thanks again, and happy shooting!!

Numbersqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 12:18 AM   #22

I own the 100-400. It is a good lens for what it does. Your camera is much better than that lens. The sensor in that camera is capable of resolving much more detail than that lens is able to provide.

If you love zooms, obviously the choice becomes easier. It you love picture quality and don't mind "zooming with your feet" then the 300 f2.8 is a better choice. Optically, the 300 f2.8 is a clear winner. You'll also be able to put a 1.4x TC on it withso little loss of quality that its probably unnoticable. It will probably even take a 2x TC well as well. And you'll still have autofocus with either TC.

I am assuming the 300 f2.8 has IS. If not, the choice becomes harder. IS makes your life easier.

The 300 2.8 is 2.5 lbs heavier than the 100-400. That can make a difference to some people as well.

Something that I almost forgot. Of course, you have to ask yourself if you really need 400mm, or if you don't mind adding the TCs to improve you focal length. It's annoying, but you might be willing to do it.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote