Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 15, 2004, 5:10 AM   #1

I'm thinking of buying the Digital Rebel, but what's holding me back is that it said in a review that I cannot use the LCD as a viewfinder. In my current digital camera, I use shutter speed and aperature based on the effect on the image in the LCD. For example, higher shutter speed makes the LCD display darker. Without that ability, I would find it very hard to determine the settings. Can a Digital Rebel user enlighten me on how he/she is able to determine exposure settings?

Thanks in advance,

lorenzo_m21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2004, 6:21 AM   #2

The "What You See Is What You Get" mode is unfortunely only available on EVF based cameras similar to the A1/A2. With dSLR the image sensor is blocked by the mirror when you're looking through the optical viewfinder. dSLR users then have to rely on the -2..1..v..1..+2 scale on their viewfinder to determine how darker/lighter one deviate from nominal on the EV scale, and then review the picture after the image is captured!

The other feature that is also missed in the real-time histogram which is available on the EVF based camera. You basically "see" what is really captured to flash whereas with a dSLR it's always a two steps operation. What get stored to flash is different from what you see optically exposure wise... If you're into night photography like I'm its kind of frustrating with a dSLR. IMO the high-resolution A2's EVF is a godsend...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2004, 8:18 AM   #3

Lorenzo, keep in mind that this goes for all digital SLR's, not only the Rebel!
private is offline   Reply With Quote