Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 28, 2004, 5:53 PM   #1

Okay guys...

I could use some help. I would like to learn aboutSLRs. I know that you can't use the LCD as a viewfinder andalso that the pictures don't come out quite as sharp as with non-SLR cameras.

What exactly does SLR mean?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of SLRs?

Thanks guys!
TennBikeBerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2004, 6:18 PM   #2

I'm going out on a limb and assume you are serious.

SLR stands for Single Lens Reflex. This means it operates like SLR film cameras. Essentially, the image you see in the view finder comes in thru the lensthen through a system of mirrors and/or prisms.

I do not know who told you the SLR cameras produce lesser images, thats a bunch of ***. SLR produce the finest images that technology can offer us.

Another main advantage is that SLR cameras allow you to use a HUGE VARIETY of interchangeable lenses. Some of these lens run in to thousands of dollars (yes thousands).

They also capture the image in much less time than P&S cameras and produce images of higher resolution.

You have a much greater control over white balance, shutter times, aperture openings, etc.

The least expensive SLR (worthy of the name) still cost a few dollars under the $1000.00 mark.

Basically if you get into the SLR cameras, your STARTING to play with the big boys.

Theres so much more there is not time here - keep looking.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 6:25 PM   #3

It's a misnomer that the pictures aren't as sharp from an SLR as they are in a consumer point and shoot. You can always adjust your settings to give you sharper and higher saturated pictures if you so choose.

SLR -- single lens reflex -- a mirror projects the image to the viewfinder from the lens. In a p&s camera, you have a separate viewfinder ( and/or lcd in the digital world)

Advantages are far too numerous to outline in this medium, but they include ability to change lenses to suit the image desired, generally they will have better focusing systems and exposure controls (although this isn't always the case). Disadvantages are their size and it's a never-ending money pit as you're always adding to your "system".
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 8:51 AM   #4

two words: shutter lag

If your serios about capturing the moment the only an SLR will get it.
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 9:55 AM   #5

Post processing is usually required in DSLR photograpy because most folks who use these cameras prefer to control the parameters themselves instead of letting the camera do it on its own. The next level is RAW file format that gives even more control over the picture quality and parameters. DSLRs have larger sensors (and potentially better lenses) which usually results in more flexibility and quality than point and shoot cameras. It's possible to adjust DSLRs to do a lot of processing in the camera, but at the cost of flexibility.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote