Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 9, 2004, 12:10 AM   #1

i accidentally posted this in thecanondigital camera forum and someonewas nice enough to point me to this forum.mydilemma is that istill can't decide which to get. so far i've heard good reviews for both yet i'm still stuck someone help me out. digital rebel owners, how's your experience been? any problems? any thoughts on the cybershot? thanks in advance!
photomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2004, 6:38 AM   #2

You really are comparing apples and oranges here, like saying do I want an SUV or do I want a convertable. Two different type of cameras, each having a different strength. What type of photography are you looking to do?

I love my Rebel, but I've been shooting 35mm SLR photography for 20+ years so my experiences will differ from someone who is new to photography. The Rebel is a great camera. The biggest problem that I see others having with the Rebel relate to flash photography and focus issues. Both of these are generally related to operation of the camera more than design flaws. Once the person grasps the fundamentals of the cameras operating modes and features and understands when to apply them, these issues tend to go away.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 7:36 AM   #3

Can't comment on the Rebel as I use a Nikon D70, but the review I saw of the Sony (in the UK)absolutely slaughetered itfor image quality, particularly purple fringing. (I saw this inAmateur Photographermagazine, though I can't see its review onhttp://www.amateurphotographer.com/ now)

Also i believe all the 8mp SLR-style models are quite noisy, due to the number of pixels crammed on to the small CCD, though the Sony is cheaper and comes with a bigger focal length lens.

I'd strive for a DSLR (whichever one you go for) if you possibly can.

jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 1:16 PM   #4

Instead of taking the "usual" route on this one -

Lets work backwards and YOU tells us what your real concerns are.

As Ohenry says- there is no way to compare the two units., and he is quite right.

The Sony marketing strategy is to build a ergonomically pleasing camera that is packed with "features" that they think some people will go for. A few things for instance - read all of these points in quotes with lotsa exclaimation points following.

• large dominant (fixed) lens compared to body size

• dual CF card slots

• And of course the real grabber - 8Mp sensor

• The ever popular black color

Canon takes a different approach based on 70+ years of "film" camera experience. They have given us the 300D (Digital Rebel). This is a basic "entry level" but true SLR camera in the traditional sense.

• Good manual options for greater flexibility as you grow into the unit.

• Comfortable feel and fit built around a traditional film camera look

• Of course- interchangeable lens, that let you use existing glass from previous film SLR models.

• Solid, time proven manufacturing and quality control.

Many many more points, but back to your initial confusion - whatare your real questions??

Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 2:53 PM   #5

I probably can give you a comparison on both of those, but most of them already spoken here, I do like the Rebel better, not with the lens that came with the kit, but with the better EF 17-35 F/4 L lens.

To make the story short, I have both of the cameras you mentioned, I sold the Rebel 3 months ago and currently list the F-828 for sale for a bargain price on the www.photo.net.

If you're lokking for the best 8 megapix digicam, I would recommend the Olympus 8080, I had the Sony 828, the Canon Pro-1 and the 8080. I traded in the Canon for the Nikon D-70, listed the 828 for sale and keep the wonderful Olympus as my back up for my D-SLRs

tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 2:54 AM   #6

This may help you.

I had a Sony 717 for 2 years and loved all about it with the exception of the dreadful shutter lag and the number of times it went back to Sony for service.

I bought a Sony828 but after a couple of weeks I got niggly about some things thatI now realise were very minor. I took it back to the shop and bought the 300D [Rebel]. Only now do I realise how good the 828 was and how frustrating the Rebel can be. My major, really major problem with the Rebel, and it would be the case with any DSLR, is the lack of depth of field compared to that provided by the much shorter actual focal length of the Sony lens. I am not a pro, not even a serious enthusiast, butI used to be, way back in the film days. I just like to make the very best job I can of the images that I take. With the very short actual focal length of the Sony 828 I could take a butterfly shot with all of the creature in focus. I could see the segments of the antennae and the little blobs on the end, and the body and the wings would be in focus. But not with the DSLR unless at tiny apertures, high ISO and the camera on a tripod, and then I have to persuade the creature to stay still. And the creature still is not totally in focus. I also realise now, just how detailed were the images from the Sony 828. I cannot say better than the Rebel, but certainly the equal.Sure, the added bonus of the Rebel having an ISO range that really is usable, adds another dimension, and of course another variable to use in your favour, or to get wrong.

It has all been said before, but if you want to match the detailed images of the 828 and the zoom range, there is no single lens for the Rebel that will do it, so you are into buying at least 2 more lenses. [Sigma have announced an 18 to 125, which on the Rebel becomes 29 to 200, the same as the 828, but will the image quality match the Zeiss designed Vario Sonnar; who knows?] If you want all camera functions to be available to you in a one camera package [and they are not in the Rebel] that will produce superb results, then the Sony 828 will do it.

My Rebel is an irritation for very good reasons, as it will not do what I want it to do without more mone money and better firmware. The 828 was an irritation too, but for the wrong reasons. I read all the hype about purple fringing, green fringing, chromatic abberation, and went looking for it. Zooming-in on-screen to 100%, I searched for these things and sometimes found them. I became convinced that the camera would be a permanent irritation because of it. I realise now just how well the camera would have suited me. I print a lot, but never above A4 size, and the problems, which are usually easily removed, would never ever show.

Only you can decide which camera to buy. If you want to collect a range of lenses, and if you can accept the camera being in control and not allowing you to select either focus mode or metering mode, then youmay be very haoppy with the Digital Rebel. If you want to develop you photogrphic scope beyond family shots, holiday, school sports, and the odd flower or bug in the garden, you will need the ISO variability and lens changing afforded by the Rebel. If you want just one good camera with no more cash to spend than on just memory cards, and if you are happy to eperate always at a low ISO setting, then the 828 will suit you fine. Also if you want the consumer digicam option of using the screen as a viewfinder, and if you ever take high level or low level shots, there is nothing to match the twisty body of the Sony cameras.

Finally, beware ofreviews [fora?] as they all have their own styles. In my humble opinion, Steve presents a rounded view, enough technical stuff but biased towards the user. There is another which is biased towards the technical with incredible knit-picking of the details, and there is another with just about no technical detail at all, but real down to earth user opnion. Dont just pick the best or the worst from each rview, or you will end up in a straight jacket and the men in white coats will take you away!

I hope this long winded post is a help.

ken from the uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 10:08 AM   #7

purple fringing, green fringing, chromatic abberation are a serious problems with the F-828, of course with the PS guru, you can remove them but why should you while you don't have to. Since i have 3 of the 8 new digicams at the same time, I just do a simple test, for the Canon Pro 1 and Olumpus C8080WZ, no problem shown on the results, with the same picture taken from the F-828, all of the above problems appeared.

Sony needs to correct this problem via their new firmware, the lens is not the issue, CarlZeiss coated lens supposes to reduce or eliminate the CA problem, but in fact it's ineffective in the design of the F-828. But if you 're willing to learn to survice with the F-828, most of the times you can avoid the problems, just sometimes you may not get your favorite angle of shots, like me I like to shoot with most difficult lighting situations, and in those cases, the purple pringing more than likely will happen with the F-828.

tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote