Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 14, 2004, 4:38 AM   #1

I posted something a while ago (several months) that was about a similar issue, but I'm bringing it up again because of my renewed interest in a digital SLR.

I have a Tamron 28-200 lens leftover from a Canon 35mm SLR. I recently got to try it on a friend's Digital Rebel. It's not fantastic (it'squite sharpat shorter focal lengths, but not as great zoomed-in), but I've decided thatit will do the job untilI can afford something better.

While I love the image quality of the Rebel, I don't like the limited controls. The controls are a step back from my current digital camera, and in actually trying the Rebel, the lack of control (particularly over focusing) got in my way. I know about the firmware hack, but I don't want to buy a new camera with the intention of immediately voiding the warranty!

The 10D is less expensive than it once was, but it's still more than I want to spend. From what I've read, a replacement/update of it is likely to be announced soon. I especially don't want to put down that much money for a camera that's soon to be replaced.

So, what about the D60? From what I understand, it has most of the features of the 10D that the Rebel lacks. Is there a major reason not to get this camera? It seems to me that it would be the best solution, since I can buy one on ebayfor the same or less cost asa new Digital Rebel, get the level of control I want, and not have to worry about the 10D successor. Money saved on the camera body is also money that can go toward lenses, which will remain useful for many years as long as I stick with Canon cameras.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2004, 6:56 AM   #2

In spite of all the 'Rebel' talk (and I own one), The D60 is definately a good choice. There are quite a few people who staunchly defend its abilities. Personally I think the Rebel is based more on the D60 than the much compared 10D.

My wife will be 'moving-up' soon and the D60 will certainly fill the bill. New models are always coming out- so it really boils down to having a camera that will perform to your level of expectations/budget.

Canon and the other builders, typically intro new models in the Fall to capture the Holiday buying spree. It has been that way for a long time - So what?

Get the camera that works for you - and then work the camera !!
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 1:57 PM   #3

I've had a D60 for more than 2 years and am very happy with it. I believe the Digital Rebel has a slight advantage in low light, both in terms of noise control and focusing. It also has the advantage of being able to use the digital-only ultra wide angle lenses. Over all, I think the Rebel and the D60 are very comparable, each havnig a few strengths.
kenww is offline   Reply With Quote