Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 19, 2004, 12:01 PM   #1

I'm using the highest resolution on my Rebel. If I take the CF card to a one hour lab - wal-mart, camera shop, etc - have prints made directly from the card and get a CD made.

Will the CD imagesbe lower quality than the CF card because of the resaving a jpeg?

I'm still learningto use the DSLR. I'm taking a trip and expect to fill up my 512CF. Since I won't have access tomy computer, I'm trying to figure out how tokeep the quality constant without a serious financial hit.

RonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2004, 1:20 PM   #2

You don't take as big a hit from the JPG compression as you do from the reduced resolution. Unless you go to a specialty house, places like Wal-Mart reduce the size of the image for CDs.

If the images are of value to you I would consider some sort of image tank to download your images to when you don't have access to your computer for long periods – like on vacation.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 1:32 PM   #3

In short, no, your CD JPEGs will NOT be of lesser quality. This is because you aren't re-saving them, just copying them to the CD.

If you were to open them in Photoshop, then save them, you would be re-saving (compressing) the JPEG. At that point, depending on the image, you will introduce artifacts which may or may not be visible in the final print or even less in magazine print.

Hope this clears things up.

Alex Campuzano is offline   Reply With Quote