Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 31, 2004, 7:57 PM   #1

Hi to All:

I shoot primarily in Tv with the assumption that I can accomplish the same thing as shooting occasionally in Av (for DOF). In other words, I only 'shift the program' by adjusting the shutter speed to get either the action shot or desired DOF. Am I right in assuming that the proper exposure (as determined by the Rebel)can be accomplished just as simply either way?

If so, maybe I should look into the P mode? From what I've read, I can accomplish the same exposure and control over shutter speed/aperture values as with Tv/Av?

Something tells me I'm wrong on this, it seems too simple. Fortunately, the good people here have no qualms about correcting me. Thanks. gary
tuthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2004, 8:34 PM   #2

Proper exposure is simply sending the right amount of light to the sensor/film. This is done by setting the ISO (match the film or as desired for digital) then determining the proper recipocal values of shutter speed and aperture. It doesn't matter whether you do that in P mode, M mode, Av, or Tv...the difference is how you input the correct values. Using Av or Tv or M will give you greater creative control over your final picture -- beyond just proper exposure. If all you want to do is take a picture, use whatever mode works for you, but if you want to create a photographic piece of work, learn to maximize the tools in your hand.

I can only strongly suggest that you obtain a copy of a good book on photographic basics and principles and learn as much as you can on exposure and exposure control. It's the difference between a snapshot and a photograph.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 7:06 AM   #3

I agree with oHenry.

If all you want is snaps then use either full auto or p mode, they'll do fine.

I recently took some shots of a flower in closeup using manual mode, flash set to 1/200 and F13. What this does is illuminate the flower and gives good depth of field but the background all goes near black centering the attention on the flower.

With these settings the flash was only able to give enough light for the close subject and the background was allowed to disappear.

So if you want to be creative then using the other modes allows you this flexibility.

mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 12:19 PM   #4

You are right.

I typically shoot in "P" mode and shift as needed unless I know what aperture I want to shoot at. In that case I move to Aperture Priority. You just have to watch it in AV or TV modes as you can get beyond the meters range in extreme conditions. If that happens the shutter speed or aperture will blink at you, meaning your exposure is going to be over or under-exposed and you'll need to adjust the one variable you control.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 11:33 AM   #5

It's been said already, but get a book. The venerable Kodak book on 35mm photography will give you sufficient fundamentals to work with, and soon, you'll be answering questions like yours for others. I had en early edition of this book around 1967, I believe. It's now in its eighth or ninth edition and equally applicable to film or digital.

As to Tv or Av or P, P will always give you a middle of the road, 1/30 or higher (1/60 if you use flash) picture. When in an automatic mood, though, I prefer Av. One reason is that the shutter has a much wider range than the lens. You can easily "run out" of f stops at the bottom or top, but the shutter will almost always accomodate your f stop preference--although the exposure may be too slow for handheld operation or moving subjects.

Look at the 18-55mm 300D "kit" lens. Six stops wide open to smallest aperture. Shutter speeds, though, give you a full 17 "stops" range from fastest to slowest. There are times, however, when the shutter speed is most important--moving subjects, windy conditions, long lenses. I find, however, that most often in nature, landscape, architectural, and portrait pictures, I want to set the f stop to optimize depth of field or image quality.

Get the book. Eventually, the relationship of aperture-shutter speed-ISO and their applications and limitations will become second nature to you. Then you can really concentrate on composition, lighting, and the other things that are what photography is supposed to be about!
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 4:27 PM   #6

This is a great book for the Digital Rebel user,check it out.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 6:19 PM   #7

I played with all the options when I got teh 300D. Not only my first D-SLR, it was my first "modern" SLR, my prevoius camera is a Contax 139. So I'm used to manual focus and Ap prio as the only options.

And I've found that after trying the other settings, I'm back to Av as my "default".

I'll flip to "P" if I'm doing "snapshots" at a party or similar. But I find that if I use "P" or "GreenSquare" i stop paying attention to teh settings the camera is picking and end up doing daft things. With Av I'm looking at the settings I'm used to. But I guess if you're used to Tv you get the same effect.

ccomley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 6:13 AM   #8

The Av/Tv settings also help in keeping either the aperture or shutter constant when doing multi exposures bracketing: If one does it in P mode then both may change which may not be a good thing depending on the subjects or the effects one tries to get...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote