Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 21, 2004, 4:13 PM   #1

Steve, or anyone elso in the know, will the 20D be able to focus with a teleconverter and a lens like the 100-400? i.e. f8?
Ken E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2004, 9:08 AM   #2

as a rule of thumb, any equivalent of F/5.6 and smaller aperture, AF is very dificult and is almost impossible at F8 or<, regradless what AF D-SLR that you use. The teleconverter will work, but you may have to change to MF, even in MF mode, with human eye, it's hard to see.

I've seen many non-sense questions to compare the D20 to D10 and D70 on the performance. Please be reasonble to ask these rediculous questions, since at this time, the D20 is not available, and no one has had the chance to use the new camera, it will take a few months to conclude a user's report after the camera is available. It's absolutely unfair to compare product features with facts and that 's paranoid..a. For those folks who ask those questions, they need to get a life...

tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 10:42 AM   #3

I believe that it won't, although I have only just started reading about the 20D (just back from vacation.) The problem is that the AF system which is required to AF at F8 has only traditionally been in pro camera bodies. While the AF system is improved, it still has only the lower percision cross type sensors (and only one better one at the center location.) The Pro AF system has more and better cross type sensors then any in the 10D or 20D.

So my bet would be no. You need a "pro" body, 1Ds, 1D, 1D-Mk II.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote