Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 9, 2004, 11:43 AM   #1

I have a new DRebel I would like to use it to its fullest for a couple hobbies I have... one of the hobbies is shooting skateboarding (action shots) and the other is, I am the co-editor / photographer for a haunted attraction online magazine "HauntFreaks.com" I will need to use it in low light and would love input on how to get the best results with my DRebel.
any help would be great

Brian :evil:

PS: please check out my results with my old Sony s-85on hauntfreaks.com
hauntfreaks.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2004, 3:58 PM   #2

How much light is there for the action shots? If there is decent light (decent for the camera not the human eye), I'd suggest getting one of the better sigma lenses... their 70-200 f2.8 HSM EX (or something like that) is very good for the money. F2.8 will give you a good shutter speed to stop the action & hyper sonic motors will focus very fast (you'll need that unless you know where the subject will be and can prefocus for it.)

The haunted attraction stuff is another matter. There you need a good aperture but a wide angle lens. It will be dark, so you'll probably need a monopod or tabletop tripod.

With the 1.6x crop factor of the sensor, you'll probably need something really wide. Canon makes a 17-40 f4, but I think sigma has a newer similar lens which is f2.8. Someone here has it and likes it.

I hope that helps.

ps. That web page didn't come up for me.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote