Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 29, 2004, 10:49 PM   #21

Thanks Amateur for the info.

I tried it out shooting a ice cube like you did. this timelapse stuff is pretty cool! I'm gonna have to play around with this some more.

planters49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 10:59 PM   #22

I just completed my first timelapse test with my DR and it came out just fine. I did not do this under natual light so I am unable to see if I see the same problems posted here. For my test I setup the camera to manual mode and manual white balance. The next test will be to do this under natural light and then I will be able to see if I see the same problems.
choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 8:01 AM   #23

Doesn't all this take its toll on the mirror mechanism or do you have the mirror locked up?
Pekkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 4:31 PM   #24

I've had some successful attempts at daytime timelapse with the sigma 70-300 and some with the kit lens at f22 (only it get a bit fuzzy due to diffraction at this aperture. I also found a plugin for virtualdub once that is supposed to be designed to remove flicker from old home movies, maybe it can even exposure variations withe the kit lensat other apertures.

I don't have the URL of the filter on me, but I'll post it as soon as I remember where I found it.
cholo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 11:21 AM   #25

for timelapse you MUST shoot in MANUAL mode - any slight variation of the sun/light(especially since you're shooting "directly" into it) will cause the overall scene to brighten/darken resulting in the flickering you're experiencing

check the reading for the scene and then set the camera MANUALLY to the shutter/aperture and then shoot the timelapse

NOTE - depending on the look you want, the most "natural" feel to the scene will be achieved with the SLOWEST shutter speed you can get (using smallest aperture and adding ND's to get the speed down to "match" the interval - this way you'll get true blurring that would occur if the clouds/cars/boats etc. were really moving that fast

the show doctor
showdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 2:15 PM   #26

To Stats79 - I have been shooting timelapse for professional jobs for 15 years and recently purchased a canon 1D for this purpose.
(the idea being capturing hi resolution gives a lot more latitude for better grading and options for cropping or moving when placed into a TV environment)

You are not imagining things.
In SOME situations this flicker occurs and there is nothing that I have been able to do about it. It does however happen in SOME situations when shooting on film or video as well.

Image stabilizer in after effects can help a bit and also WideTime (another after effects plug in) This however will give an averaged / blurred effect which in some cases adds to the look and in others spoils it.

My guess at the cause - 1. clouds obstructing the sun enough to seriously change the lighting of a massive area.
or 2. some sort of auto post processing that the camera is doing without my permission!

Keen to hear others thoughts on this.

(haven't tried the raw idea yet because of HUGE file sizes at 8 megapixel but will try this and report back)

brandspank is offline   Reply With Quote