Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 28, 2004, 7:41 PM   #1

My Rebel takes great images, but when the lights go out and the exposure time lengthens, my photos come out a bit grainy. Any advise on how to clean them up a bit?
I've set my ISO at 800 and keep my exposure time as low as I possibly can, but if there is any total dark, it's filled with snow, if just a light dusting. What can I do?
There's a full moon tonight. I'm on the water and want to get some good reflection shots!
wyndstryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2004, 8:17 PM   #2

lower your ISO and use a tripod to enable you longer exposures or use faster lens like a F2.8.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 9:08 PM   #3

Hello Syndstryder;

You've probably heard this as well, but in addition to adjusting your ISO/aperture/shutter speed, (each of which has a trade off - you'll have to decide what you want from your pictures) there are also some excellent programs out there that are specifically designed to reduce or even eliminate noise. The program I use is called Neat Image. It does an excellent job of cleaning up noisy images. There is also one called Noise Ninja, and a couple of others as well. Some of these will run as Photoshop plugins. I highly reccommend you try some of them out.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 1:00 AM   #4

Thought you might enjoy this picture I took with my new Drebel the other night. An ambulance when by and put those high red lights there. It was 11pm. I discovered the manual mode using the 'bulb' setting. This picture also in Weekly Challenge

Attached Images
freidaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 3:07 PM   #5

Noise Ninja is a good program for cleaning up noisy images.

jtacuff78 is offline   Reply With Quote