Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 10, 2002, 12:09 PM   #1
Default Extension Tubes for Canon EOS D-60?

I have a Canon EOS D-60 and the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro Lens for 1:1 macro work.

Looking ahead a little, I'm thinking of getting into macro magnifications via extension tubes.

Questions abound. For example:
o How best to start out?
o What's available in E-Tubes by they Canon or 3rd party?
o What's the best macro performance I can hope for?
o Is anything available online that covers E-Tube macro photography?

Many thanks.

M i k e
shamrock838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2002, 8:10 PM   #2

I'm going to pick up my 100mm macro tomorrow. I have been using extension tubes with my 28-135 and 100-400. They can also be used in conjunction with the 1.4X and 2X teleconverters, as well as closeup filters (+1, +2 and +4 diopters, for example.)

Since there is no glass in the extension tubes, 3rd party tubes are fine. Most people get the set by Kenko, which is 3 for about $120. The Canon are very much more expensive.

I got a ProOptic set, approximately the same size as the Kenko, for $85 at Adorama. I believe it is their house label. They have metal lens mounts, and allow autofocus. However, many people shoot with manual focus when doing macros because of the very shallow depth of field.

I am also picking up the EF50mm f1.8 lens, which can be attached to the 100mm 2.8 macro lens with a reverse adapter. This will bring the magnification up to 4:1.

To avoid long exposures, I am also getting the Macro Ringlite, which will allow me to use small apertures for better depth of field and still get decent shutterspeeds. You can also use the buillt in flash, or a shoe-mounted flash if you have one, but watch the shadows.

I hope this has answered enough of what you wanted to know.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2002, 10:03 PM   #3

If you're really serious about macro photography, you should consider the Canon 180mm "L" lens.

Extension tubes will increase magnification, significantly with shorter lenses. However, you are also left with very little working room. With some lenses, you can wind up with a scant few inches.

The 180mm macro gives you 1:1 (1.6:1 for the D60) with 19 inches of working room. This is great with live subjects and helps a lot with flash lighting.

I still carry my tubes and 250D/500D filters, although it's been more than a year since I used the filters and I only use the extension tubes to reduce the focusing distance of my 100-400mm "L" lens to get closer to nests, etc.

gmitchel is offline   Reply With Quote