Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 17, 2004, 8:20 AM   #1

OK, I am going to post this on both the Canon and Nikon boards.

OK, here my situation. I am asking a serious query and would appreciate some serious answers, this is not an attempt to start a brand war, but I am aware that it might happen. Feel free to email me your answers to hopefully avoid said war.

First, I shoot Nikon, always have. When I bought my first film body, F5, I thought it felt more comfortable in my hands, and just liked it better, so I went with Nikon(over Canon). I currently have 2 F5's and a D2h. I was only shooting film for one company I freelance for, everybody else I shoot for already went completely digital. The last remaining holdout is now also completely digital, regulating my F5's to dust collectors. I have not shot a roll of film for myself personally in about 3 years. Basically, I have equipment that will not be used, my F5's, the flashes that are not dx, certain lenses, etc. I have compared the output of the newer canon digitals, the 20D and the 1D mark II. They simply blow the D2h away, especially when using a high iso. I shoot 70-80% sports, on almost every level, and do a lot of high iso shooting, so this is a major concern for me. I am very unhappy with the quality, in this situation, of my D2h. I think it rocks when there is enough light and I can shoot at iso 200-400. I really like this camera, the way it handles and just fits in my hand, it is a joy to use. The bottom line though, is the camera is just not getting the job done in certain situation. If I just did studio work, I would have bought a D1x.

That background brings me to my question, do I make the switch to canon, now that I am completely digital? I will not lose a lot of money, considering I can sell the film equipment that I will not use and easily make up the difference I am going to encounter to get the equivalent canon equipment.

Second choice is to wait for the D2x, and hope it proves a better low light camera. The problem with that is once I buy it, I will be in the same boat as when I was using film equipment. I would not switch because it would entail too much loss of money. I have the opportunity due to the fact that I can sell my film stuff. I couldn't do this earlier, because I was not going out and buying both Canon film and digital bodies.

Help me, what would you do?

Dervical at aol.com

Dervical is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2004, 11:20 AM   #2

This is definitely a difficult question. You should probalby sell one of the F5's. They are great cameras... amazing cameras. But if you hold out too long they will be worth very little. You might consider selling both, but to me selling one is an easy choice.

As to which camera to get. Try to figure out when the D2x is due out. If it's soon, I would wait. It's not a dedicated sports camera (like the D2h or 1D MkII) so I don't know how well it will perform in those situations. but financially it's the wize choice (unless it will cost you money to use.)

Unless you really have a strong need (which it sounds like you might) it is rarely a good idea to switch brands. You will loose so much money selling all that equipment that it could cost you $5-10K+ to switch (including what you loose in selling the old and the high cost of buying the new.)

You might want to do the cost research in switching. ebay showed me new D2x for $2500 (quick average) so you'll get $1750 if in good shape, maybe? And the 1D MkII will cost you about $4200. 500 & 600mm keep their value fairly well if in good shape, so you won't take a complete bath there. And the Canon equivalent are about 1K cheaper (with IS.) But things like flashes and other lenses might not fetch a great sum.

And don't forget, all that knowledge you have (how the camera meters, which lens is better, how the flash performs) will be gone out the window... which probably means you need to have both systems for awhile while you get up to speed on Canon.

Switching is not easy... possible, but not easy.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote