Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 21, 2004, 6:24 AM   #1

After much review of photos from various sources and seeing what this camera is capable ofI was a little disappointed with my abilities to capture a decent photo. I had some experience with manual settings using my previous Oly c5050, but everything I thought I knew wasn't working like i thought it would with the 20D.

I know it's not the camera, it's ME!

Using the fine L jpeg and using settings from fully auto to manual the photos just looked flat, the colors just didn't pop like what I was used to with Oly. I know info is lost when compressing to jpeg, but could it be loosing that much?

I'm little apprehensive about using the raw settings since my post edit skill are nill at best. Will try some raw photos today and see what happens.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
KeithT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2004, 7:13 AM   #2

1)what is your experience with using an SLR type camera previous to the 20D?

2) what colorspace are you using?

3) did you read the manual from cover to cover? yes there will be a test.:lol:
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 7:21 AM   #3

Free advice is generally worth about what you pay for it !!

As a result, I only offer my own experiences (or lack thereof).

I shoot in Av mode, Center spot focusing, AI servo for moving objects, start with ISO of 400, AWB, Large fine.

Much of my shooting is with the 28/135 IS (gettin' shakey in my advanced years.)

Fall here in Michigan starts the "Gray-flat-dull" season. Fall colors are about our last chance, at least until the snow falls.

I have found that the AWB is better with my 20D than my 300D, at least more consistant.

I am sure you will get all kinds of comments (some worthwhile), so I will eagerly await the coming expansion of this thread. When JimC and NHL and a few others get here - stuff will start to happen.

Good Shooting.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 8:06 AM   #4

When I received my first DSLR, I was amazed at how much I did not know. I had shot Digital point and shoot for years. I bought some books, used online tutorials, read forums on this site and dpreview.com. I start shooting in auto mode and was learning to enjoy the camera. I also would read about each of the creative modes and test them. I am still learning about my new 20D but the basics of photography are the same in 35mm and dslr world. Use your camera, read the book, read the forums, and ask questions.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 8:35 AM   #5

The biggest thing you have to understand, is that Point and Shoot cameras do all the work for you. I.e, colour saturation, lightening etc. With a DSLR, you HAVE to do some work yourself in Photoshop (or similar) to bring out the "Punch" of a picture using levels etc. The transition from Film SLR´s to Digital SLR´s is just as difficult, as the lab used to do all the necessary adjustments to ensure you received, colourful, vibrant pics. I was disappointed when I first saw my pics from the 10d (now have 20d), but once I had learned a few lessons, my pics are now punchy and full of colour...

check out www.panphotography.com to see what I mean. All pics taken with 10 or 20d.

Good luck and get learning.....
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote