Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 28, 2004, 12:06 PM   #1

I feel bad for my friend. I set our 10-D up for him to shoot at his son's school Halloween party. I've had great success using the AV setting at f8 and the built-in or 420 flash.

It was held in a well lit room with windows. So I set it at ISO 400, f8, AV with built-in flash. He did use the zoom quite a bit (150mm to 200). This image had these settings: 1/15 sec., f8, ISO 400, 200mm, flash on, metering-pattern.

I understand using the zoom accross the room needs more light, but the exposure isn't bad. The flash pop is there but that slow shutter and being hand held blows.

Any tips or rules I'm missing would be greatly appreciated (I'm not a pro, I just play one on TV).

Alex Campuzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2004, 9:18 PM   #2

1/15 sec. is the problem!

... the brighter well defined parts are result from the flash, while the blurry parts is due to the motion of the camera -> @ 1/15s the ambient light 'contribute' to the camera exposure :sad:

The Tv mode could have help by fixing the shutter to some higher value (1/60s to 1/200s) while the manual mode would have been even better since you can fix both the shutter and the aperture... If you shoot with the 200mmm make sure to use the 420EX because the built-in flash wouldn't make it, if the distance is too far!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote