Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 3, 2004, 11:44 AM   #11

Hi Freefly,

How to do a 'mirror lock' to avoid the camera shake? Can I use that in the 'P' mode. The watch picture is using 'P' or 'AV' mode ( i forgot which one). I didn't use flash at all, but just very strange. I already select the center focus point in the middle but still get wrong focusing. ahhhhhhhhhh.

Ceddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 5:32 PM   #12

Considering all the factors..

ISO 400

F 5.6

Shutter1/40 sec.

72 dpi image

I agree watchlooks really good over all. Might consider your focus point off the center as the crystal could introduce an error especially as in the case of a Rolex.

Here's my attempt using 10D with Canon 50 mm F 1.8 image small fine.. cropped using PS. I used Av mode to get the best results using depth of field. I did find slight softness using af off the center of the crystal with F 1.8 .. not posted. An F 5.6 seemed to yield the best results in this instance.

Well here's the picture, not to good at posting in forums and scaling pictures appropriately. :?

Attached Images
OverTheHill-CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 1:22 AM   #13

There is mirror lock in one of the custom functions. When activated, it will allow, on first press of the shutter button, the mirror to lock up, then on a second press the shutter is released to minimise shake. Your focussing may have been on the reflection in the glass on the watch which may throw it out a fraction. Like I said, take a few and see how it goes!

Good luck,

Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote