Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 31, 2004, 9:58 AM   #1

This question may not be totally appropriate for this forum, but here it goes anyway. I currently print using my Canon i960 which I think gives pretty good prints. Does anyone have some suggestions for online printing services for those pics that you just want the absolute best print quality (and enlargments)you can get? I'm asking you folks because you are Canon users and are probably familiar with the i960 quality (will I be blown away by the quality of a professional service). Also, I figure DSLR people are probably picky people who insist on the best quality. (That's intended to be a compliment) Suggestions anyone?
stallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2004, 11:27 AM   #2

I have used pro labs for a while, and to be honest, the prints that come off my Epson 2100 and Canon i9950 are as good and sometimes better than lab prints. Also faster and cheaper. Slowing down the use of them now.....
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 9:24 AM   #3

I have used a local store in town and got some4x5 for $.29 a piece. The quality was equal to what I would get from a 35mm print. I then took that print and the same image to Best Buy and tried out several of their photo printers. From what I could see the printers did a very good job but just for me did not have the finished edge that the normal print had. I tried out two of their HP photo printers but I don't have the model number of them and they were done on photo paper. I later did a comparision of price between the photo printers and the local store and found that on paper alone it would cost me a lot more then $.29 for a 4x5 print on the photo printer let alone what it would be if I calculated ink cost into that.

One draw back that turned me off of the store was if you wanted a larger print then the 4x5. I went to make a 5x7 and the cost jumped from $.29 a print to $1.99 a print! I then found out about ofoto.com and got some prints and a photo book from them and the quality is very good and the prices are also very resonable. I would highly recommend them. I don't know if they still have the offer going on but when I signed up (free to register) I received 10 free prints.
choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 10:56 AM   #4

MPIX without a doubt is my favorite. I never have any deviation in quailty unlike using the local Walmart or Walgreens.

Sabertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:41 AM   #5

You may also want to take a look at http://www.winkflash.com

Forum Member RyanH did a comparison of some online printing services a while back (including Ofoto), and decided that winkflash was the best.

See thisthread for details (scroll down further in the thread, after he comments on the other services, and you'll see his comments on Winkflash):

I have not personally used them yet (although I should have a friend ordering some prints from them today). I uploaded over 100 photos from a Wedding to Winkflash.comyesterday that she's going to order prints from.

They're only 16 cents a print for 4x6" prints on Fuji Crystal Archive Paper (two cents cheaper than when RyanH ordered). Even better, is that shipping for any size order is only 99 cents (shipping charges iswhere a lot of the online services get you). When RyanH ordered, shipping was free (although 99 cents is not bad for any size order). ;-)

Pricesat larger sizes aren't too bad either (5x7" prints are 29 cents, 6x8" prints are 69 cents, 8x10" prints are $1.99).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 12:10 PM   #6

I have some pictues coming from winkflash that should come in today or tomorrow - I'll let you know. I will also say I have friends and relatives that use Kmart and Walmart and the quality there is not too high. My rule of thumb is when I see a picture on paper I should not be able to tell if it was digital or from film (assuming high enough quality of digital) - on the Kmart photos I can clearly see 'bands' accross the photo from how the ink was laid down - even from a high quality 5 mp camera. When I printed the same photo my dad had printed at Kmart off on my Canon printer the Canon printer beat it hands-down. I would expect a lab's work to look at least as good as what I can print out at home. So for me it doesn't matter how long the print will last or color correctness if the basic presentation tells me it was a digital print - hope that made sense

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 12:42 PM   #7

Try Costco

It's a walk up service, and you can download your flash cards, CD etc.. right to their Noritsu mini-lab processors:
o 4x6 - $0.19
o 8x12 - $1.99
o 11x14 - $2.99
o 12x18 - $2.99

Theses are real "chemical" photographic paper prints.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 1:35 PM   #8

I got my pictures back from Winkflash on Friday and I'm impressed. They are still using the fuji crystal paper and the overall quality was very good. I ordered them on a Sunday and got them on Friday so that was a little long but for .16 a copy plus .99 shipping I can wait a few days. I used the drag-and-drop method for uploading pictures and had no issues whatsoever. I have placed my second order today for some pictures I took from a wedding over the weekend. As long as their price and quality stay the same I can live with a 4 day turnaround.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 4:18 PM   #9

Interesting (but older) article describing the various online services--also comes to the conclusion that WinkFlash is the best. I've been using snapfish, and have been moderately pleased with the results... plus, I like the "extra" products offered at snapfish (puzzles, ties, etc), and I'm not sure whether they are offered on the other services. But with the price, shipping, and reported quality of the pics, I'm going to switch to WinkFlash. But now I have to try to re-upload all my pics!

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 9:51 PM   #10

Prints from my Canon i960 are better than I get from most local labs.

Shooting weddings like I do, the one thing I wish Canon provided was a luster type Photo Pro paper in 4x6 and 8x10 size. Canon's Photo Pro paper is terrific, but it's only available in a glossy surface. Epson now has a great luster paper, but only in 8x10. If Epson were to introduce the paper in 4x6 I would switch to a printer that uses their archival inks like the R800 in a New York minute. Canon seems commited to the printer technology but not in increasing the types papers to print on, and it's a little frustrating for someone like myself who thinks the best quality/longevity comes from using the same makers ink/paper combination.

Back to the online printing services.... Adorama in New York has a GREAT service that provides super prints in a luster type matte or glossy finish, and at great prices. As to their quality compared to inkjet, I recently shot a group picture of about 80 classmates at a reunion. I printed the image at 8.5x11 on my inkjet to compare with the 11x14 prints I ordered at Adorama ($4.95 a print for 11x14). The Adorama prints are spectacular. Much sharper & nicer looking than my i960 output. I highly recommend you go to Adorama's web site and download their software to order prints- it doesn't cost anything to get & I think you'd like them alot.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote