Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 4, 2004, 9:37 PM   #1

Just wanted to know, what you all thought about the two lenses?? I know Canon has the best for their money, but does Sigma offer as good for less?? I want to buy two new 2.8 lenses but don't know i should invest low with Sigma?? Lenses looking at are 70/200 2.8 and 24/70 2.8 and yes they are Sigma.
macatack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:22 AM   #2

One thing you should be aware of is that sigma lenses typically need to be rechipped occasionally when used on newer cameras. I personally have a tamron 28-75 f/2.8 a lot of other people around here seem to use it also. The optical and build quality are good; the focus is slow though.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 5:08 AM   #3

There are two things you should know about Sigma...

1. They have two(2) lines: their regular low-cost line which people tend to poopooo (Canon have their own cheap lens too) and then their professional EX line which have the ultrasonic drive called 'HSM' which are very fast and completely silent in operation. Theses lenses behave like the Canon 'USM' and allow full-time manual focus overide of the AF without flipping any switch first. Other 3rd parties such as Tamron, Tokina and Vivitar still do not carry any ultrasonic lens yet in their line!

2. Only some older lenses manufactured prior to 2000 needed to be re-chipped, and they were done for free by contacting Sigma. None of the rechipped lenses were EX

FYI: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=9891975

The two lenses you're looking at are both EX and they are competive with the best from any manufacturer...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 6:23 AM   #4

I've only had the Sigma 70-200 2.8 for a month now but it has been GREAT. I probably spent 2 months researching on the web and talking to a couple of professional photographers. The bottom line is while the Canon version performs slightly better the difference doesn't seem to be noticable for most people. IMHO the build quality and picture quality of this lense is extremely good. I have also found that there are some Canon and Nikon users who think any third party lense is sub-standard. For me, I wasn't hearing anything legitamate that indicated it was worth spending $400 more for the Canon version (non-IS) of the 70-200 2.8. The $400 difference, for me, will go towards another lense down the road.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 8:21 AM   #5

Thanks for the info all!! I would like to be all Canon but $$$ can be a big factor. My 100/400IS USM to me is a great lense. The sad thing is i'm still paying for it(CCard). My sports photography from my last few times selling my prints has been overwhelming. It makes me want to step up more to the plate when coming to gear and creativity. Most photographers have told me to use 2.8 indoors or faster. So i thought i would look into it. I'm a Canon lover and user all the way. But for a newbie in sports photography there has to be a line to be drawn for expense.
macatack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 2:20 PM   #6

I received my Sigma 50-500 (Bigma) and am very satisfied with the quality of build. The performance of the lens was very good. My wife made me put it back in the box after a series of test shots because it is my Christmas and birthday present.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 7:04 PM   #7

I also purchased theSigma 70-200 2.8 EX HSM APO lens for taking both gymnastics and tennis photos of the kids who both compete. I have only had the lens for a month or so and all I can sayis this lens is outstanding you won't be disappointed.

Spent a lot of time researching the lenses for sports photo's as well and found a high majority of users recommending this lens. Fast, quite focus, great sharpness and a lot less than the Canon $$.

Used thesaved $$ on other photo equipment.

Best Regards,

JLang510 is offline   Reply With Quote