Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 6, 2004, 2:19 PM   #1

Am I doing something wrong? My old Olympus E-20 used to appear to Windows as just a storage device. It didn't need any drivers, Windows just saw it.

The 20D doesn't seem to work like that (Unless I am mising something)

I have tried PTP mode but I don't like that. :sad:
Pekkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2004, 4:24 PM   #2

I installed the bundledsoftware (I am guessing it included some drivers that are not default on XP which I am using... although I didn't try withou them installed).

After that yesthe camappears in Explorer as a drive (although on my machine it behaves a little differently (i.e. folders do not appear until you click on the camera itself).

But from here I can copy and paste pictures (but I am unable to cut) in Explorer.

good luck.
timmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 11:35 AM   #3

Some cameras by manuf and model are preloaded within windows xp.. Olympus, Kodac, etc. See add hardware image devices. Canon is not one of them. I have a A40, A80 and 10D when I connect to my xp system then turn the camera on I get a popup asking where to send to send the pictures to. (I don't use a default application as my needs change).

To get my Canons to worked I installed drivers for each model but not their application software other than what I specifically needed.

Also once driver is installed Camera will show up in explorer as a image device within "scanners and cameras" which has similar functionality to a drive but it is not a drive.

The only thing they may share is a usb transmission protocol as in the case ofusb mice, keyboards, etc.

OverTheHill-CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 4:11 PM   #4

For £17.99 in Jessops you can buy a USB2 connector that you can plug the CF card into and transfer to your PC, saving your camera battery and speeding up your copying!

Hope this helps!
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 8:12 PM   #5

I believe Canon offers a Windows driver on their website, to see the 20D on your computer.
mbsevans is offline   Reply With Quote