Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 18, 2004, 2:07 PM   #1

Hi there! I am looking to pick out an add on lens for my digital rebel. Has anybody purchased the Quantaray 18-125 mm lens (I think it is a new lens-advertised at Ritz camera $269).

I am looking for a better zoom lens but would also like to keep the wide angle available. I really don't want to have to switch lenses.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated also!!

Thank you in advance!
sheehandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2004, 8:07 PM   #2

I believe that this is the same as the Sigma 18-125.
I have the Sigma 18-125, and could not be happier. It is very much sharper than the kit lens. It is also very free of purple fringing, and flare.
I think if you do a little searching for reviews on the web, you will find that almost all are positive. Beware of comments from people that haven't actually used this lens, but simply feel that it can't be any good at this price. There is unfortunately a lot of snobbery in photography.
I think that you will find, as I did, that this lens gets used 95% of the time.
Good luck.
lotapixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 4:54 PM   #3

I have a Sigma 18 to 125 that I used on the 300D and now on the 10D. Although I hanker after the canon L craze, there is no way I want to go back to the days of lugging around a sack full of lenses nor do I want to invest shedloads of dosh in posh glass. I bought the Sigma when it first appeared andI am generally happy with it. I am sure it is not the sharpest around, nor can I say I notice any difference from the 300D kit lens, but I have not done any real comparisons. I like the zoom range of the lens, and for A4 prints and monitor viewing I have no complaints. Well, not true. It does vignette very badly under some circumstances, but ifshootingRAW [which I generally find totally unneccassary, despite the hoohaa], Photoshop CS does have a very nifty vignette correction tool that works wonders. Unless you are a real nit-picking geek who absolutely must have the best glass, with the best steet cred, then you will be happy with the Sigma. Needless to say, I am just a hobby guy, using the camera to record my other hobby activites along with home, garden and holidays, the usual stuff, and on half a dozen liucky occasions, picture of the day winners.

Go for it. If you dont like it, dump it. Life is too short to mess about worrying over making the right decision.

Ken from the UK
ken from the uk is offline   Reply With Quote