Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 21, 2004, 9:51 AM   #1

I was just wondering what everyone here uses for a camera bag?? Myself i have a LowePro Magnum AW, but would like to get a smaller one for sports and still be big enough to carry a 100/400 IS.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone and enjoy the holidays!!
macatack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2004, 10:22 AM   #2

I use the Lowepro Orion AW. Love its versatility.

Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:30 AM   #3

I have the Nova 1 AW which can hold my 20D with attached 28-135 and a flashgun. Plus, I have the Nova 4 AW which can hold that plus another 2 lenses.

What I want is the Computrekker so I can have one item when I go in an airplane (which I do every week) - but that's probably a Christmas pressy !!!

alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 8:59 PM   #4

Lowepro Nova 4 AW
Pekkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 9:38 PM   #5

Canon DSLR bag... Hold my rebel with battery grip and 28-135mm plus 18-55mm and sigma ef-500 super as well as my chargers.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 6:23 AM   #6

Anything made by CCS made in Britain to the highest standards with lifetime warranty!!
mweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:40 PM   #7

I have the Lowepro Magnum AW MF (originally bought for my 645 system). It now houses my EOS-3, Elan 7, 420EX flash, & 3 lenses. I also have the Lowepro Elite AW which houses my 300D/ 28-135, & room for 1 more lens. IWILL sell this bag- it is 1 year old, too small for expansion, as I want another bag the size of the AW MF, just the Magnum AW. I also have a discontinued model small Lowepro that I use for film & filters.

Macatack71, if you want to see this bag or buy it send me a private e-mail.

Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 11:49 PM   #8

I have a Lowepro MiniTrekker backpack. It houses my 300d with sigma 18-125 plus 2 other lenses, memory cards, extra battery, charger, filters, 3 blendsand still have room for something like 70-200/2.8. I'm looking for a holster-type bag to carry onlycamera with a lens attachedwhen I don't need everything else.
ulik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 11:32 PM   #9

I've used a LowePro Trimtech Ultimate (or some such name) backpack / shoulder bag for several years with a bike, walking around, 35mm, and medium format. I've recently acquired another one, a more recent LowePro TrimTrekker, which is the same general format, but better build quality.

These are backpacks with a shoulder strap, so that you can trek around with it on your back (supporting the weight and your agility really well, esp. in the case of the new model) and sling it over your shoulder for quick top-entry access to the equipment when you're ready to shoot.

It's really handy and quite capable. I've also found a small portable Gitzo tripod (Tatalux, which unfortunately is no longer available new) that fits in the bottom compartment of both of these backpacks. The bottom compartment is also suitable for a long lens or a collection of smaller gear. I've also put a second DSLR body and a couple of lenses there instead of the tripod a few times.

These bags also fit within flight carry-on limits.

But these particular bags are not further expandable, so have a definite limit of the amount of equipment you can carry around. I.e.only LowePro makes bags like these as far as I know, and only in one size. It's not a bad limit; as a trekker, I can't really bear much more.

There are add-on backpack straps that can be used similarly instead on more conventional bags. I haven't tried them myself. I prefer the backpack option first, and then sling around for shooting, rather than the other way around. But there are some advantages to having a wider layout in the bag; esp. if you're already used to that.

I have a small collection of smaller bags, including another very well-built LowePro, but I find that the backpacks are much more useful / usable in practice with my equipment choices. (And the build/padding quality of the newer LowePros makes it hard to stuff them bulgingly full.) Of course, if I'm to just walk / etc., and won't need a full set of lenses (hah!) then I'd want a smaller bag. But I don't predict my shooting that well, and it is handy to have a full set available without having to predict it, and I don't find the slightly bigger size to be a big limitation when the backpack straps makes it portable.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote