Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 27, 2005, 10:37 AM   #31

The answer is NO, your wife will be really dissapointedthat you spent that kind of money to get lousy indoor pictures. You will be angry too when you see the photos. Many of theindoor photoswill not come out as good as a high-end digitcam (fixed 1 zoom-lense camera without interchangeable lenses). DLSR's are not meant to be point-and-shoot cameras meant for the regular consumer. They are for serious photographers who want to be "painters" and "artists", who will take the time to go into Photoshop and use the various filters and adjustment tools to make it come out beautiful (more like using a Hasselblad than a Kodak Brownie). As a matter of fact, the photos out of the 20D are a bit soft focused on all of the photos, you need to use the unsharp mask in PS to make them sharper by bringing out the resolution capabilities of the camera, if you want sharp photos (not all photographers necessarily want sharp photos, which Piccaso was painted with only sharp brushes?). One opinion only.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

PYoung2493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 12:15 PM   #32

I just got my 20D yesterday. So far I've taken about 125 shots with it. Like everyone else the first couple of shots were under exposed, as I expected really.

After adjusting ISO, EC and FEC for the lighting in my living room, which is fairly dim (only two 40w bulbs in the room) i was able to get properly exposed shots. Also as I got more comfortable with the camera my pictures got better and better. I was able to back off the EC to 0, the ISO to 200 and my FEC was only at 1. I was even getting some over exposed parts on some shots (white objects).

This is all with the 18-55mm kit lens and built in flash. I have a 580ex, 50mm 1.4 and 70-200mm LU f/4 on the way. Idid getsome good in focus shots with the kit lens, but the resolution of the lens leaves much to be desired.

Only thing that sucks is my LCD has one dead pixel on it, bright green dot. At first I didn't notice it, my Olympus C-4000 has a dead bright green pixel also. I know it doesn't hurt the functionality of the camera, it's just annoying. Don't think I'll go through the trouble of returning it.

So if you're thinking about getting a 20D and are worried from all the posts about underexposure, don't fret, it's not the camera -- it's the users.

Proxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 3:05 AM   #33

Regarding a good point and shoot for your wife: Any $300 digital camera you buy today will take excellent pictures most of the time. Any camera, including the $16,000 digital back for Hassleblads, will take lousy pictures some of the time.

Sigh... a good photographer should not need to use Photoshot to to an image exposure...

Experience teaches you what not to do for most of the lousy shots, but after 30 years of this, I still get bad images from time to time when the camera and light conspire to screw me out of a perfect image. It's got to be the camera, or light, or something because it can't possible be ME that screwed up !

TDM_Canon_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 4:44 PM   #34

One thing that I don't like about pretty much all digital cameras is that they do seem to use the flash for "fill" if they can. This leads them to do stupid things in the full-auto modes like shoot all indoor flash shots at something like 1/8th of a second with the lens wide open. This leads to nicely exposed but blurry or low depth-of-field shots.

Now for me, if I'm going to use the flash anyhow, the normal preference would be to shoot at a shutter speed of at least 1/60th or maybe faster and something less than wide open on the aperture. Let the flash do what it was intended to do.

So, on both the 20D and my other "point and shoot" cameras which let me set this, I force the camera to shoot at 1/250th of a second when using the flash. I also tend to use the aperture priority (Av) modes and choose a smaller aperture to get the DOF that I want.

This has several good effects.

First, it lets me capture some movement without blur or at least lets me hand-hold stuff.

Second, because I'm letting in a lot less light, it forces the flash to do most of the work so to speak. On the 20D, this seems to make the flash exposure work a bit better although I DO sometimes bump it up a bit with the FEC especially when there is a reflective background or other situation to fool the automatic crap.

On the 20D, in the custom functions (#3), you can set the "Flash Sync speed in AV mode". I set that to be the 1/250th sec fixed selection. Then I manually choose the aperture and shoot away in Av mode. I also tend to always use the spot metering mode (what they call "partial").

The main reason I bought the 20D was to get a camera that had manual controls including manual focus. Ever since going digital, I've missed my old Canon F1N and FTb bodies because they are so easy to use. The 20D is closer to being as easy to use. I can put it in a manual or semi-auto mode and achieve what I want without needing to wade through such a laborious web of menus for each shot.

Someone should make a digital camera body that has no automatic functions at all. Manual focus, manual shutter speed, manual aperture, and just a meter in it with selectable spot, center weight, or average. And a decent focusing screen with microprisms surrounding a split screen center like I have in my old F1s. That's all I want. And it should be cheap since it won't have any of the auto stuff. But nobody seems to make such a thing.

I'm sure I'm not the only old fart out here who misses the ease of use that the cameras of 30 years ago had. It's a lost technology, I guess. Sort of like seat belts on Star Trek.

Automatic is handy sometimes, but when you spend hours and hours trying to devise a way to cheat the automatic functions, what good is it?

That being said, the camera does pretty good in the full auto mode - the autofocus does spoil you somewhat. But I suggest folks try the Av mode a bit more. That seems to be about the best balance between full auto and manual for me.

Now if I could just get it to really truly lock the exposure when I push the shutter button halfway down like the book says it will. My Kodak digicams all do this perfectly but not the 20D. I guess I need to read up more or push even more buttons all at once.

Of course, in the full manual mode you don't have this problem.

Good shooting everyone. I've got a lot to learn about this camera before I'm competent with it. That's obvious. But I have made a few good photos with it. What a fun toy!

sigmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 12:45 AM   #35

I had the same problem. After going back and forth with e-mailing photos to canon they said that they see a problem. I sent it to Canon service center and the adjusted the white balance electonicaly. They stated that the focus was readjusted and the camera was set back to canon specifications.
sal is offline   Reply With Quote