Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 4, 2004, 1:39 PM   #1

I just got my canon eos 20d a few days ago and i've been shooting since i got it. just today i came across an Error 99 message when i zoom all the way in with my Canon 75-300 USM lens, outside mid-day. the shutter seems to studder a little bit and no image is recorded, and i get the Error 99 message, which i have to correct by shutting off the power. I dont know whether this is just an issue with my lens or whether it's an internal camera malfunction. ANY help would be greatly appreciated, i'm quite worried since it's brand new and i haven't noticed any problems with my lens. thanks.

MRmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2004, 4:47 AM   #2

I have heard of this problem with a sigma lens on the 10D.
Apparently it was a software issue. The lens was sent back to sigma who offered to buyback the lens if they bought a new compatable lens from them.

welshdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 8:09 AM   #3

I would do a search here on 99 in this forum. I haven't heard of this error on the 20D (till now) but it did come up a few times on the 10D. The reason is probably the same.

Did you try removing and reattaching the lens? A badly seated lens can cause all kinds of trouble.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:27 PM   #4

I did some research prior to buying my 20D on the www.Sportsshooter.com and found 20D with a firmware of 1.04 had this problem. After upgrading to 1.05, the problem seems to diappear. You might try. Just my2 cents.
Naturenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 5:40 AM   #5

I own the 10D and borrowed an oldSigma 70-300mm non-HSM/USM lens to try it out and see if I liked it. Over the space of 2-3 days I spent a couple of hours trying the lens and got about 5 pictures with it, all the rest caused "Error 99" lock-ups in the camera. Needless to say the lens has gone back to the owner.

The Error 99 message is usually a communication problem between the lens and the camera body. It's a pain in the arse and can be caused by dirt or scratches on the gold contacts of the lens but chances are there is little or nothing wrong with your Canon75-300mm lens. Upgrading the firmware might help the situation, if not you will need to get in contact with a Canon Service Centre and ask them what is causing the problem and what can be done to fix it.

Good Luck.
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote