Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 4, 2004, 5:21 PM   #1

Can anyone tell me if my Zuiko lenses, which were purchased with my Olympus OM1 back in the late 1970's, are compatible with the Canon Digital Rebel? This camera sounds very awsome but it would be a shame if I couldn't use these lenses on this body as they are high quality. Apparently, Olympus has developed a new type of format with their digital camera bodies, and they essentially double the lens magnification when using a "FOURTHIRDS" adapter. For example, a 24mm Zuiko lens then becomes 48mm when using this adapter. Also, it's not possible to use the auto format of camera!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hydrographer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2004, 8:40 PM   #2

Sorry, but no.

You'll need Canon EF or EF-S mount lenses for the Digital Rebel.

BTW, if you go this route, there is a crop factor with the Digital Rebel, too. Because the sensor is smaller than 35mm film, the entire image circle projected by the lens is not used. As a result, you need to multiply the actual focal length of any lenses you purchase by 1.6x to get the 35mm equivalent focal length on this model.

For example, a 50mm lens would have a 35mm equivalent length of 80mm (50 x 1.6 = 80).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote