Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 17, 2004, 5:09 PM   #11

I bought my 300D with the kit lens and contary to what most people say I think it isa very good lens. Pin sharp 24"x16" prints on my wall prove the point.I may have been lucky and got a good sample. I must admit the price difference with or without the lens was minimal, not to buy it was not really an option.

I also have 55-200 and 70-300 Sigma lensesand find theseproduce very good results. A lens alway worth considering is the Canon 50mm II 1.8 very inexpensive and capable of results riveling almost any other lens available.

Mightyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 7:26 PM   #12

There are a lot of good answers here. Here's my 2 cents worth. I have the Sigma 18-125mm lens, which I like better than Canon's 18-55mm kit lens, but a few weeks ago I started using a 24-200mm Tokina. The Tokina was not a costly lens, but it performs like one. I will now start using it more than the Sigma 18-125mm as a walk-around lens. The Canon 18-55mm just sits in a drawer collecting dust. The Tokina really does a great job considering such a good zoom range, plus it's a little wider (and longer) than a 28-105mm. The Tokina is a rugged, heavy, well built lens with a metal mount (not plastic). ...John
JKAyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 9:44 PM   #13

I also shoot with the 55-200 and think for the money it is a pretty good lens. I think my next investment in lenses will only be L-series or other comparable lens by Sigma or Tokina. I would definately go for faster lenses next time 2.8 non variable.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:28 PM   #14

Thanks for the input. I decided to go with the 28-135 IS USM and the 50mm f/1.4and get rebates from Canon. Am waithing anxiously for the toys to arrive from Abes'..... Marc
marcf is offline   Reply With Quote