Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 18, 2004, 3:06 PM   #1

Took my brand spanking new 20D to the gym for a quick workout! :G

Quick background... step-daughter is a competitive gymnist and I shot last season with a DRebel. Bought a 20D this morning and here's my first impressions.

1) This thing is fast! I've never owned a camera that could do 5 fps! And the buffer size is great! I can shoot a whole tumbling pass on her floor routine! I was blown away!

2) AF is much better in low light (like in a gym!) than my DRebel.

3) Love the fact I can now control AF modes

4) High ISO and low noise! WOOHOO! Can now shoot 3200 if I have to and still get a usable image. I've posted a sample at 1600 and then ran it through Neat Image. I printed a 4X6 and was completey amazed!

5) Oh, I almost forgot! I can actually take indoor flash pictures with the built in flash! My DRebel was HORRIBLE at this. The few test photos with flash compensation set turned out great! This is a BIG improvement over my DRebel.

So after a few hours I have to say, I'm very happy and impressed with the 20D...

Here's a little sample:

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2004, 11:39 AM   #2

Nice shot... what lens did you use? I'm impressed with my 20D. The other evening I shot about 75 pictures with my EF 50II (the cheap one) in a candle lighted room without flash and got about 65 "keepers". I did a little post processing to tweak them, but not much was required. It was interesting to see the reaction of folks in the room when there was no flash :G
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 11:59 AM   #3

Nice shot, I am completely pleased with my 20D.

After switching from a camera the took a picture a few seconds after you pushed the shutter release and then took 20 seconds to write the file this camera seems like greased lightning. :-)

Wildman, get the oPanda exif reader/plugin it gives you most of what you want to know with a right mouse click, unless the image maker has chosen to clear the exif info.

For Mr_Saginaw's image the relevant info it shows is

Camera = 20D
Software = Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0
Date Time = 2004-12-18 15:45:23
Exposure Time = 1/400"
F Number = F2.8
Exposure Program = Aperture priority
ISO Speed Ratings = 1600
Date Time Original = 2004-12-18 13:02:21
Exposure Bias Value = +0.67EV
Metering Mode = Pattern
Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length = 38mm

While it does not tell you the actual lens used it does give you the FL and Aperture selected.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 5:06 PM   #4

Thanks, guys...

The lens I used for the picture is a Tamron 28-75 XR Di 2.8. Very nice lens... been using it for about a year now... it's become my kind of all around lens.

The built in flash got a good workout today. Had a family function and snapped a bunch of pics with the flash... I wouldn't have even bothered on the DRebel. I set the Flash comp to +2/3.

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:07 AM   #5

I to was impressed by my 20D's ability to take great shots at high ISO settings. Here's a candlelight shot at my Grandaughter's birthday party. It was shot at ISO-1600.
Attached Images
JKAyres is offline   Reply With Quote