Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 24, 2004, 6:06 PM   #1

I want to buy atelephoto lens for my rebel I'm looking for a is zoom or a long manual

focus 500 plus . I have only about 500-600 bucks to spend any help out there? also do the cheap t mount teles work with the digi rebs

genohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2004, 8:42 PM   #2

You could probably pick up a good manual focus mirror lens around 500mm for that much money. They are usually very sharp and have other good lens attributes. They are also very small and light. Don't frown if they are Russian made, Russia makes some very good mirror lenses.

They have two down sides. They have a fixed aperture. Usually f/8, so you'll need really good light. And their backgrounds (bokeh) have a weird pattern to them that some dislike and some like.

Sigma sells a very good 50-500mm zoom but its way out of your price range ($990 or so.)

Its also a question of quality you want and what you will use it for. Sigma makes a 170-500mm for $570, but from what I've read about it I wouldn't touch it. Its AF is very slow and it isn't sharp at all. But your standards might be different than mine. I've spend $7000 on a lens (to give you an idea of where my standards are.)

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote