Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 27, 2005, 1:45 PM   #1

I'm using a 20D and love it! I have taken many pictures and I'm intereted in printing a few of them. I was wondering if any of you had suggestions on where/how I could print them. I'm also unsure as to what size I'd like them printed as. Most of them are very high resolution, 3504 x 2336to be exact. I'm assuming 8 x 10 prints would look great but any info would help me. I've got like $15 worth of print credit on this card they gave me with the camera, I doubt, that will get me too many prints though...
MRmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2005, 3:01 PM   #2

I'm going to assume you are not interested in buying a printer at this time and you are more interested in having the photos printed for you. If you do a search you will see a couple of good threads (search on printing costs). To summarize a bit you have 2 options: local brick-and-mortar store or internet print service. From what I recall of the various threads, Costco and Sam's Club were the clear winners from the brick-and-mortar front. Winkflash appeared to be the fan favorite from the internet side (which is what I use and I also highly recommend) with photo access and ofoto coming in behind. Prices per 4x6 will range from $0.16 USD to $0.28 USD.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"As for what size to print - that is entirely dependant upon what you want to do with it. If you want to frame a number of pictures and put them on your walls, you will want a minimum of 8x10. If you like to have table-top framed then 5x7. If however you prefer albums then 4x6. Just because your camera CAN produce a great 8x10 image that doesn't mean you need to. Print out the size that meets your needs not necessarily the largest size technically possible.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 3:47 PM   #3

?? Printing card?? Is it some sort of credit at a store?

With that resolution, you could easily print up to 18x24 with good results. 8x10 will look great.

If you want to use on-line printers, winkflash (http://www.winkflash.com) is great ... and cheap. 99 cents 8x10s. People also like Kodak's Ofoto service (http://www.ofoto.com) or Snapfish (www.snapfish.com) which has more interesting "stuff" to put your pics on (like calendars, clocks, clothes, cards, playing cards, etc)
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 6:35 PM   #4

I was in COSTCO and noticed 12x18 prints for $2.99. The next day I threw a few pictures on a CD, they will also take them off your CF card, and brought them to COSTCO. In about 20 min. I had some beautiful pictures. I would highly recommend them. I don't see how you could come close to that price and the quality was great. I'm not sure how they do it.
hkrautter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 7:17 AM   #5
Super Moderator

A little warning anecdote...

Your experience may vary of course, but do be sure when you go to the print shop that you mention to the lab assistant that you want you pictures exposed as you have set them.

I carefully selected about 70 photos after adjusting them in photoshop for an album. The person "driving" the lab adjusted the exposure on 95% of them. I got the prints and was horribly disappointed - surely something is wrong with my monitor or my eyes or something. Then I thought I'd better check with the lady whether she'd done anything - she had "improved" them for me on her little 2x2 inch lcd under bright tungsten lights, and using an average meter reading on her display.

Basically they all looked grey!

There was a little argument and she agreed that she would reprint them as I had delivered on the CD without any adjustment.

There were still some shots that weren't exposed correctly, or where the colour wasn't what I'd hoped for, but this time at least it was MY fault, and most of them came out fine.

So do be sure to mention to the lab operator that you don't want the shots to be fixed please - just print them as they are.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 8:07 AM   #6

Getting prints at Costco, Walmart is a tossup. They have very good hardware and usually untrained users. You can get very good cheap prints from those places. Or you can get badly exposed and color shifted mush.

If you don't make lots of prints, it can be a very good way to go.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 9:56 AM   #7

eric s wrote:
Getting prints at Costco, Walmart is a tossup. They have very good hardware and usually untrained users. You can get very good cheap prints from those places. Or you can get badly exposed and color shifted mush.
I thougtht your 'edited' pictures go right through their machines through the customer terminals...

Anyway you can't beat it because they'll refund you if you don't like the results!
(... much cheaper to experiment with 'edited' enlargements this way) :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 1:34 PM   #8

You may find this link helpful. It provides a lot of info on your printing options.

ATHiker95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 6:49 PM   #9

A good buddy of mine owns a professional lab and he gave me the inside scoop on photo processing.

The problem is not always with the person driving these mini-labs. Other factors are in play.

Firstly,the quality of your print can be affected by how often the chemistry is being replenished. If you get your print done towards the end of the cycle before a chemistry replenishment, yourprint will look washed out. Your best bet is to request your print right after a chemistry change.

Secondly, the machines need to be calibrated fairly often. Some lab owners cut corners, and don't bother doing the calibration often enough. Make sure the lab has calibrated their machine recently.

Also, some labs use cheap paper and chemicals. I won't name the online photo printer who has changed to cheaper paper while keeping the price of their prints the same.

The bottom line is choose your lab carefully. Best to take your coveted digital images (or film, for that matter) to a reputable lab that changs their chemistry often, recalibrates often, and uses quality paper and chemicals.

And, oh yes, hopefully a technician that isn't overriding the exposure values of your prints.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote