Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 10, 2005, 8:45 PM   #11

If you have a 70-200 f2.8 lens you'll have a lot fewer options.

I have a Lowepro S&F Rover AW as a backpack and it is probable the most comfortable thing in the world. The pack is detachable and you can use just the belt and shoulder harness alone. It easily caries my 300D or Elan7 with grip and my 70-210, 100mm macro, 50mm for low light, and 18-55mm EF-S in the main compartment. It has a second large compartment and stow pockets for filters etc. And I can hang the tripod off of it too.

I'm not a fan of my Lowepro Toploader 75. I bought it to handle the 70-200 lens and it is awkward. The chest harness is great if you need it, but other wise you'll feel like a twit.

For shoulder bags I'm a huge fan of the Domke bags. I have a F6 and love it, for the bigger camera I'd go with the F2. They are expensive though.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 7:35 AM   #12

If you want the multitudes to step aside and bow their heads -

Go with a LowePro backpack - loaded with lotsa' outside pockets and stuff hanging off the straps.

People will think you really know your stuff or they will fall down laughing.

Either way you will have a clear path to your destination !!
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 2:36 PM   #13

Lowepro makes a bag called the "Off Road", which is a great bag. It looks like a standard rectangular bag, and on each side of it are these cylinders (made of the bag material) which hold lenses (so one additional lens on each side). You can remove one or two of the cylinders, if you don't need them. Inside the bag has 3 compartments. I keep one additional lens, my camera and my flash. Keep in mind that I don't have a 20D, yet. And the flash I am using is the Sunpack 383, which comes to the top, so if the canon flash is bigger it won't fit. There is also a really big front pocket, which can easily fit a few filters, batteries and other accessories. You can carry it on your shoulder or, it works as a fanny pack. I honestly never tried wearing it as a fanny pack due to its large nature. And I removed one of the cylinders b/c I only have two lenses (one in the bag, and one in the cylinder).
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 3:52 PM   #14
Super Moderator

i too would choose the rover aw II from lowprow if a backpack with some extra space in it for a change of clothes or a lunch is what you desire.. if camera gear alone is what you want out of your backpack, i like the nature trekker for lots of gear or a micro trekker 200 for smaller outfits.. shoulder bags, i agree that a domke is the way to go...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 5:22 PM   #15

I use the COMPUTREKKER AW and it carries all, even a laptop. Very well padded and they even put in a supprise raincoat in the bottom compartment. Very nice backpack with a lifetime warranty. Also the cannon semi hard case is very very nice, it screws into the tripod mount only made for camera and lens (short lens). I keep my camera in this case and then put it in my backpack. I find myself using this case most when going to gatherings, hangs around the neck fairly decent I'm able to leave the backpack at home........ Canon EH-17L Check these out with adorama.com good prices
HeidiandHans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 8:03 AM   #16

I use a little Promaster bag (I have three of them for three cameras, I like them so much) that is quite small and well built.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 3:46 PM   #17

As a newbe this subject is dear to my heart.

I'm looking for a medium size shoulder bag for a new 20D and several lenses, and the array of bags and configurations is confusing.

I thought I'd start out with something simple and relatively inexpensive, so I ordered one of the new Calumet bags which looked like it would do the job, but the quality was really poor. The first time I tried adjusting the velcro dividers the stitching came loose. Needless to say, it was on the UPS truck back to Calumet the next day.

Most of the photos of the shoulder bags show the camera body positioned in the bag with the lens face down, in a vertical position. I couldn't figure out how in the world you set up the velcro dividers to accomplish this. I came up with a configuration to support the body in this position so that the lens didn't touch the bottom of the bag, but the bag obviously wasn't designed this way.

Is the lens, with the camera body attached, supposed to just sit on the bottom of the bag, or is there some magical way to use the dividers to support the body? It doesn't seem like the lens, supporting the body, should just be bouncing around, face down, on the bottom of the bag. Am I'm being too cautious about this?

Tamrac makes a bag in their System series that I liked the look of. It has what they call a "lens bridge system," that supports your camera in a flat, horizontal position. I haven't had my hands on one. Does anyone have a comment on the Tamrac brand or this type of bag?

Thanks for your advice and help.
Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 6:52 PM   #18

I'm using the Lowepro micro trekker 200. It carries my 20D,3 lenses and filters. I also have holders for 2 water bottles on the sides. Therearestraps on the bottom for a tripod. I'm thinking about buying the mini trekker AW because it holds the tripod vertically so I have more room on the sides to keep from bumping the tripod against people.
hkrautter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 11:33 PM   #19

I can never find a "Best" bag, here is my cats Bag-Farm, it has grown by a couple since this was taken last year.

For hiking the LowePro Treaker is used most often, and a small LowePro Orion for general walkabout's. The Pelican is used for travel and canoing. The dry-bag(s) for kayaking.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 9:35 PM   #20

Like PeterP I have too many bags...
  • the hiking bag,
    the bare bones outdoors bag
    the Domke most of my system bag
    the Domke F5 wee bag for a camera and not much more
    the bag to hold my film camera (not that I use it)
    the bag that makes me look like I'm with National Geographic and hence makes me look like a twit when using it
    and the bags that seemed like a good idea at the time...
Pinto: I have an older Tamrac bag with the lens bridge system and I do like it. I have a smaller style bag so I find that when using it with the 70-210 lens attached it crowds out the other lenses. But it is a small bag so I'm not complaining. I like Tamrac over LowePro bags, they seem to fit better and have less superfluous padding. The one I have has a shoulder strap and a reasonably good waist belt that stows away. Well padded and the lens is supported if I'm using a battery grip on the Elan 7.

As far as having your lens pointing down... Lowe likes to show that in there material. By putting the upright velcro tight against the lens it will work but often it is a pain. The nice thing is that it protects the lens from bumps (if the bag is deep enough) and if tight protects the lens mount from bending moments. The problem is that a bag that's deep enough for the lens tends to be big and bulky.

I have a Tamrac superlight 5 that is good in this regard, it is quite thin but fairly deep. It nicely holds my 300D, 420EX, and two lenses. But for a 20D it's likely not thick enough.

The one bag I like but haven't bought yet is the S&F 200. A lot less padding than the Nova series, but looks like it would be quite nicely sized.

My suggestion is to take what you plan on carrying into a good store and start filling up cases to see which you like.

I also don't try to find one bag that does everything. I have certain bags to do certain things. My all around bag is the Domke F6.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote