Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 29, 2005, 3:26 PM   #1

Went to Bel-Air Camera and Samy's today and looked at the 20D

Very nice unit, BUT, the lenses are what is amazing.

It was the first time I tried the IS lenses and they are fantastic, I could not believe how still I was at 200 and at 300 MM.

The only thing I don't care for is that the camera and lenses are quite big and heavy (the price you pay I quess for a DSLR).

I also looked at the Fuji S3 and that unit fit my hands well, and has a loyal following, and has many good points, even though it is slow on its burst rate.

The little Pentax istD was a big surprise, that little thing felt like a tank, it was VERY well built.

So here I am waiting for PMA to see what is new !!

For me, a istD or a upgrade of the istD (if that will happen at PMA) would probably be it. It is small and with a couple of high grade lenses it would fill my needs. I'm not a pro, just want nice images without carrying around 50 lbs of stuff, (But those Canon lenses are hard to beat !!!!!!!).

wll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2005, 6:45 PM   #2

In the SLR (or DSLR) world, the camera body is secondary. Most vererans of this environment carry their lenses over to the next camera body. Switching to another manufacturer is expensive because Nikon lenses, or Canon lenses don't fit the other guy's cameras or vice-versa nor do anybody else's.

Most DSLR users carry their lenses over to the next camera body. The big bucks in this business are in lenses. Good quality lenses keep their value, but cheap ones don't. Some serious users change lenses more often than Hollywood stars do wives..

Best think of a DSLR as a system... a system that's based on a manufacturer's lenses. There are third party lenses available (Sigma and Tokina etc.) who make great lenses for some camera manufacturers, but their lenses won't fit any other camera manufacturer's bodies.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 7:53 PM   #3

You are correct and that is something for me to think about !

Old Feb 5, 2005, 5:56 PM   #4

Take a look at the Pentax *ist DS. It's even smaller than the *ist D, and is a great camera. After looking seriously at the Nikon D70 and the 20D, I picked the Pentax over both, and I'm very happy.

The Pentax is not quite as fast at multiple shots as the 20D, but it uses the same sensor as the D70 in a much smaller package. The menu system is very intuitive, and the LCD is better than either the D70 or the 20D.

You won't have the IS lenses of the canon, but Pentax, Sigma and others make many good lenses and almost all the old Pentax lenses back to the 1960s work with it. Nikon and Canon can' t say that.

On top of all that you can get the Pentax wit the 18-55mm kit lens for about $875 or so at dbuys.com.
jaynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 10:11 PM   #5

I shoot sports photos for a local paper. I don't really use the burst shot mode. I prefocus my shots then take them. In my humble opinion unless your hitting about 7 frames per second, it's hardly worth using the burst mode. You really won't be sure of what your getting because at a 1/4 or a 1/5th of a second between frames, there's a lot of movement of your subject.

So, buying a camera based on fps, in my mind, is somewhat pointless unless you go the big bucks for the cameras that can really do the technique justice.

More important to me is image quality and responsiveness. Shutter lag and shot to shot times are what counts.

I also question making a big deal of how long it takes a camera to power up to being ready for first shot. Usually if I'm at a sports gig, I turn on the camera at the beginning, and leave it on for the full four hours shooting. I'm not constantly turning off and on my camera to save batteries. Sure, if the camera takes 1/2 a second to power up, versus 2 seconds, it's better to have the 1/2 second, but it would hardly be a primary buying consideration.

I certainly agree with the above contributors about lens solution. Check out which lenses you want to use, then buy the body.

There is a theory that the pentax is a great buy because of all those old used pentax lenses going real cheap. The other day I took a look at ebay, and low and behold, there were next to no great deals on old pentax lenses, unless you wanted to go for really old screw mount lenses using an adapter.

Old used lenses are always a risk. You don't know if they have fungus, been banged around, etc. etc. etc. And if you have your old lenses handy from your 35mm days, fine and dandy.

Regarding using your old film lenses on your d-slr, 1.5x or whatever focus factor changes their focal length, so the may purpose you bought your lense ("I need a really fast 50mm prime lens") now becomes ("ooops, now I need it to be an 85mm prime lens"). It's kind of like saying I used to photo flowers, but now I will reuse that same lens for portraits because now Iown a D-SLR

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 11:31 PM   #6

You are hitting the hardest part of choosing a camera system, you need to find what feels right and works for you. Getting others opinions is good starting point but you get the reasons they chose what they chose. :blah:Which may not apply to you.

Wildman is correct about the lenses, once you have bought into a system it isnot easy to switch. Myself in the small dsrl format I have a fair sized collection of Canon EF mount lensessowhen looking for a new body I go straight forthe Canon counter. :-)

There is, or rather hasbeen talk about some universal camera independent lens mount a while back, has not been much news about it so I am guessing it has stalled. I suspect because it wouldcut into camera brand loyalty and lens makers sales.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 11:00 AM   #7

Wildman wrote:
In the SLR (or DSLR) world, the camera body is secondary.
This may seem like a truism, given the lens issue, but actually, the body is even more important in the digital world than the analogue SLR world because the body is the film!

The body contains the sensor and the sensor cover filter and the sensor processor and the image converter for sharpening and post-processing. The 20D has superior noise characteristics and is 8 Mpixel.

You wouldn't buy an analogue camera body that injected twice the grain into the film.

Both Canon and Nikon make very high quality lenses, though some measurebators will have strong opinions for one over the other. So why are many Nikon folk selling their lenses and buying Canon digital and lenses? Because of the clearly superior Canon digital film! (sensor and processor)
Monito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 12:52 PM   #8

Thank you very much for your imput.

I'm waiting on PMA.

I know is issue is the system, lens quality, and most importantly the body, as it is your film.

I will decide some time afte the show.