Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 30, 2005, 8:08 AM   #1

Lots of people say look at the histogram to see if your lighting is good, just what would be a good histogram? can anybody post a picture of what a good one would look like? I notice tha most of the 20D pictures I take or to the far left. My wife bought me the 20D just this week.
tbone42766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2005, 8:25 AM   #2

" with the possible exception of showing badly blown out highlights there really is no such thing as a bad histogram. " :idea:

FYI - http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/understanding-histograms.shtml

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 8:29 AM   #3

What the histogram should look like is picture dependent. Its just telling you how many pixels are of what brightness.

As a general rule you want the data a bit to the right of center. But there is no absolute rule.

If the picture is dark, the histogram will have a lot of stuff on the left. Is this wrong? If you're shooting an artistic picture of a person standing infront of a bright window. This will cause the wall to be dark and the window to be very light. And the histogram will show most of the picture is dark... but it should be.

check out this link:

And, while your there check out the other stuff on this site. It's really good, both technically (good info) and the guy is just a great photographer!

ps. NHL, great minds think alike!
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote