Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 7, 2005, 8:52 PM   #1

I purchased a 20D earlier today and so far am very impressed with it. I have been using the Rebel for about a year and have used it for everything from sports photography, travel, and a wedding. The only problem I have run into is my external flash.

I have been using a Promaster external flash on the Rebel with mixed results. It is designed for the EOS series cameras but would lose synch with the Rebel after several shots. Apparently it is not compatible at allwith the 20D as the photos are pitch dark, even though the flash fires. Apparently they are not in synch and I can't get them to synch up.

I am looking at the Canon line of flashes and have narrowed it to the 420 and 550. I don't plan to use 2 flashes in a master/slave arrangement this time so I am thinking of the 420. Will this unit work in a fully automatic mode with my zoom lens? Other than the fact the 550 will act as a master and run a slave flash, are there any other differences I should be aware of?

garyalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2005, 11:40 PM   #2

I have aSigma 500DG super for a flash on my 20D.
The 420ex had very limited controls.

The 500DG super has full controls, decent power, and works with the 20D's ettl2.
Costs about the same as the Canon 420ex, has comparable features to the 580ex.

Only other flash I'd consider is the Metz 54.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 11:26 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. I want to stay with the Canon series as I've already had problems with another brand. I ran into someonea few days ago that had used both the 420 and the 550 on his 20D and he recommended the 550. Apparently the major difference hefelt I would noticewas the operating distance. The 420 had some limited controls but they seemed to be sufficient for my needs.
garyalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 11:46 AM   #4

I use a Sunpak 383 super. I paid $60at B & H Photo website.

It does pretty good for a guide number 120 flash.

If you need more light (power), maybe go for a 150-ish guide number flash.

Definitely skip anything less than guide number 120, or you might as well use your built in flash.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote