Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 26, 2005, 9:44 PM   #1

I am upgrading my computer with a wireless bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Does anyone know of a device being sold which would enable the Digital Rebel to transfer photos to the computer using bluetooth?
makarpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2005, 1:37 PM   #2

Wouldn't Bluetooth be rather slow for transfering files of this size? I'd certainly love to have a wireless means of transfering my pictures, but I thought that Bluetooth operated at something like 4mbps, compared with USB2 at 480 mbps and Firewire at 400 mbps. Of course my Bluetooth knowledge might be utterly wrong, but if it does operate at 4mbps then you would be waiting for rather a long time while your pictures transfered.

Happy to be educated by somebody who actually uses Bluetooth. I remember a few years back being told everywhere that Bluetooth would be like some universal glue for digital appliances - I have yet to use it for anything at all.
Squonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 4:14 PM   #3

Bluetooth generally caps out around 1Mbps from what i've read. Which would be fine for 1 mp camera probably. But with a Rebel and beyond you would be waiting years. It's a fine technology for smaller devices (mouse, keyboard, cell phones, palm, etc), but not so much for transferring huge amounts of data.
Philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 7:52 PM   #4

1Mb/s? Thats like 125KB/s :lol:
that would take foooooorrrrrreeeevvvvvvveeeeerrrrr on a bunch of 5 MB pictures :G
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 9:34 PM   #5

Oh well, it sounded like a good idea. Too slow today, but who's to say that Bluetooth II or III wouldn't be able to accomplish it in a reasonable amount of time. Several years sounds like a good estimation. In other words, I shouldn't be holding my breath. Thanks for all of the input.
makarpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 1:45 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Bluetooth 2 is 3megabits/sec and is rolling out to devices near you as we speak.

Still a bit slower than the 480megabits/sec USB2 speed though, and frankly that feels a bit sluggish when downloading a full 1Gb card.

Eventually bluetooth might be fast enough, but it's going to need at least another 3-4 generations and by that time we might all be using 20Mb RAW files.

Ho hum.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 2:41 PM   #7

The main benefit of Bluetooth is the 'easy' on the battery power consumption - once the switching signals go faster so do the power consumption, one of the consequence of this is that you need to change/recharge the batteries more often...

-> If one has to attach a power cord then all the wireless benefit kind of disappear :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote