Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 12, 2005, 9:22 AM   #1

I just bought my 350D and now it is time to go lens shopping. I have about $500-600 to spend on lenses which is what I saved vs. going with the 20D that I was originally considering.

I got the kit lens and so far have been quite surprised with how well it works. It focuses quite quickly for a non USM lens. A real surprise for me. It has now made me think that a USM lens might not bring me a lot of benefit. So here is what I am looking for. I want a good telephoto zoom. Something on the order of 75-300 that is fairly fast. I also would like a decent wide angle lens too but not a fisheye.

Any thoughts? I don't need a pro quality lens or IS (although at times IS might be nice). Most of my shooting is done while in Siberia or other areas where I don't want to lug around any more weight than necessary. I often shoot in low light conditions so a fast lens would be nice but I don't think I can afford at this time what I really need. I could spend the money on it but it really is the bigger risk of having my equipment stolen while in Russia. I already lost one and I'd hate to lose this one!

Any suggestions and the best place to buy them in the US are welcomed. I need to pick up something soon. Thanks for any suggestion and support criteria. So far I am really glad I bought the XT rather than the 20D. For me I have everything I need and a smaller, more portable package. Definitely better to travel with. It is apparent why there was a mad dash at my local Best Buy to buy this camera!
Wavshrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2005, 3:47 PM   #2

I'm partial to prime lenses. Great for low light. You will definitely benefit from IS in the conditions you describe. The 17-85mm IS would be on my short list there. Check out these links if you haven't already done so:

As for where to buy, I buy almost everything from B&H Photo. After 15+ years of dealing with them, I've never had a problem.
jpmccormac is offline   Reply With Quote