Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 13, 2005, 5:31 AM   #1

My understanding is there are two things that will freeze action: 1) Fast shutter speed 2) Flash. Since I shoot gymnastics #2 is not an option, since it is a NO FLASH sport.

IS on the other hand was designed to combat camera shake at low shutter speeds. The old rule for elminating camera shake is that the shutter speed should be 1/x or faster where x is the focal length of the lens. So on a 200mm lens the shutter speed should be at least 1/200. IS comes into play when you start trying to shot with a slower shutter speed. But a slow shutter speed will not freeze the action. Depending on the sport, if you really want to freeze the action you'll be shooting 1/400 or faster... sometimes a lot faster like 1/1000. In these cases, unless you're using a 400m lens IS doesn't come into play since the shutter speed should/will eliminate the camera shake...

Examples from yesterday. These were shot ISO3200, f2.8 @ 1/500. This is also from a NON IS lens:

here's a 100% crop showing the lettering:

Another example, not fast action but...

100% crop form the right hand bottom corner:

The action is stopped here because of shutter speed. They are sharp because the 1/500 basically elminated camera shake... now if you feel like spending the extra money... and i do mean extra... well go ahead it will certainly help you when you are trying to take a shot at 1/30 of a second... but don't be surprised when little Johnny is still a blur on the basketball court...

The opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone... :lol:
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2005, 8:14 AM   #2

I have followed some of your posts before and pictures(look great) and as a newbie in dslr that shoots mainly landscape...you have saved me plenty of cash thanks
the chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 9:02 AM   #3

In the environment that you shoot in, I would fully agree with what you're saying.

I find the chemist's comments interesting because what he(?) shoots would probably benefit from IS. I assume he is shooting outdoors (so you have to deal with wind) and you'll use whatever shutter speed gives you the proper depth of field. And this can lead to slow shutter speeds.

Maybe you don't chase the light and try to get slow shutter speed shots, but many landscape people do. In these situations IS is a great help, even on a tripod (although then it's a help for wind, people walking by, cars driving by... external stuff.)

A high shutter speed is always better than IS for stopping camera shake, but not every picture can be captured with a high shutter speed (and the inverse is true too, as Mr_Saginaw shows well.)

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 9:30 AM   #4

Yeah, i was kind of wondering about the chemist's comments too... I agree 100%... it sounds like he WOULD BENEFIT from IS... I was pretty surprised by his reply about shooting landscapes... This thread was definitely geared towards sports/action and the usefullness of IS. Of course one thing I did over look is the value of IS when panning. But then again panning involves slower shutter speeds and not completely freezing the action, hence the benefit of IS... :lol:
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 9:51 PM   #5

The benefit of IS while panning is also questionable: :idea:

1. IS in the horizontal plane must be disabled - you want the relative movement of the camera/subject to be constant. If IS is on it'll try to 'correct' the horizontal displacement of the camera - the opposite of what you want -> which will make the background still and the race car blurry instead: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...c.php?id=32296

2. The camera can still compensate for vertical movements, but in cases of vertical moving subjects such as a person running the camera shake can be downward whereas the runner can be on his upward stride hence accentuating the movement instead... (ie camera shakes and subject ups/downs are independent from one another) :? :? :?

Just my 2c !
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote