Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 19, 2005, 4:09 PM   #1

The night photography abilities of the Canon 1Ds MKII are wonderful!

I just returned from the UK with a bunch of night shots of London. Here's a URL to first:

A smaller version is on my home page temporarily.

I shot the image at 100 ISO. Virtually no noise. The shot was 3.2 sec at f/10 with noise reduction turned on. I used the Canon 17-40mm "L" lens at 17mm.

There was not a lot of retouching. Two flags fluttered in the breeze. I removed them and their ropes with the Healing Brush tool. A Levels adjustment set the black output to 10 and the white output to 245. Saturation was boosted separately for the cyans, greens, and reds.

The Canon 17-40mm "L" lens does have a bit of barrel distortion at 17mm. The full frame CMOS does not use the sweet spot like my Canon 20D. The image also keystoned because of the angle. I used the Free Transform tool to adjust the perspective.

I used just one round of sharpening. As I mentioned, there was not much luminosity noise. No chroma noise at all. You had to increase the image to 100% zoom to even see the luminosity noise. I created an edge mask for sharpening. Before sharpening, I inverted the mask to make it into a surface mask and used it with Neat Image Pro+ to remove the faint luminosity noise from the sky. Then I used the edge mask with USM for sharpening.

More night shots and panoramas from London will follow. Gosh, the 1Ds MKII is such a wonderful camera for night photography!

gmitchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links