Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 20, 2005, 5:48 PM   #1

Wondering which route is better for purchase of the Canon Digital Rebel 300D?

Option 1 - Best Buy for $799 minus 25 gift card = $774. The Lens provided is the Canon 18-55mm

Option 2 - American for $788 minus $50 gift card = $738. The lens provided is not Canons, but the Tamron AF28-80mm F/3.5-5.6

Don't know much about the Tamron lens so am a little skeptical with this lens vs the Canon lens. Any comments are appreciated!
dan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2005, 7:45 PM   #2

What's American? Is that a store?

I would go for #1 because of the focal length of the Tamron will be 45-128mm on the XT. That would make landscapes and any wide angle shots pretty hard. The Canon lens isnt the best but its decent.

Do you have a Costco? Costco has the Kit for $769.99. Costco.com lists the kit as coming with an extra battery which is very cool. Im not sure if the brick and mortar Costco does the same.

Bilbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 8:57 PM   #3

If this is the same American that was in Madison, WI, I'd personally stay away. Not that BestBuy is that much better, but just my experience.

The kit-type lenses are generally adequate for starting out. I learned my first D30 with a very cheap kit lens. Once I figured a few things out, I sold it and replaced it with a 17-40L f4 lens. My guess is that you will eventually want a higher quality lens anyway.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 6:32 AM   #4

The 18mm is a nice wide lens. There's a big difference between the 18mm and 28 mm. So I would get the kit that comes with the Canon lens, but not from Best Buy. There are several reputable camera stores on E-bay selling it for $699, or maybe cheaper.
1958fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 4:13 PM   #5

If you buy the camera from Costco, don't you also have a lifetime 100% satisfaction guarantee on the purchase? So after the Canon warranty expires and your camera breaks, you can just go back to Costco and get your full money back. Atleast that's what I heard from other forums.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote