Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 4, 2002, 10:16 AM   #1
Default Spot metering with the D60.

I do a lot of flash macro work where the main subject is a relatively small part of the frame. Using the (P) or other advanced modes and Evaluative Metering with the Focus Point on my subject, the subject is usually over exposed. Partial Metering does a bit better. As far as I can tell, the D60 doesn't have a true spot metering function.

On the other hand, if I use the (Macro) mode or (Portrait) mode with the Focus Point on my subject, the exposure is perfect, but my options are limited. My question is, is there a way in (P) or other advanced modes to force the camera to only use the active focus point for exposure calcualations?
transco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2002, 7:54 PM   #2

Here is the beauty of digital. I shoot many macros. I use the center focus point, and either shoot as is, or recompose. I use evaluative metering unless the subject is strongly backlit. Then I will use Partial metering.

However, my first shots are frequently overexposed, with blown out highlights, especially doing incsects in flowers or on leaves. That is because the background is often so much darker than my subject.

So, I look at the histogram and dial in some exposure comensation. Often, in such a situation it works out to -1 EV, but you have to go back and check the histogram. Also view the image with "info" pressed, and you'll see any blown highlights blinking. This will tell you to add more compensation, maybe to -1.5 ev.

It takes a few trial shots, and then you will get a feel for how much to compensate with the exposure.

Also, since macros have very shallow depth of field, you might want to shoot in Av mode, at f/8, f/11 or higher to maximize the DOF. The camera will change shutter speeds to accomplish the exposure comensation.

A last suggestiion: Set the exposure so that NONE of the highlights gets blown out. this may make the image darker than you like, but in your photo editing program you can easily recover the shadow detail with levels or curves. However, once the highlights are blown out ((piled up on the right end of the histogram) there is no way to recover the lost detail.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote