Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 25, 2005, 4:42 PM   #1

I couldn't find the answer to my question by searching so here is my post. I've been recently shooting sports and other action type things and I have noticed that my 20D will not fire at its full (or supposed) 5FPS. I figure in most cases it's only hitting about 2-2.5FSP. I'm shooting with speeds of 1/250 or faster which should let me get in 5 frames a second right? Even if I force the speed to 1/1000 or higher I can't get it to consistantly fire at full speed. I really noticed the problem the other night when shooting a hockey game next to 2 guys using MK2's and the 8.5FPS was just blowing away my camera.

Is there some setting I need to choose in the custom functions or what? I have the AF mode set to AI focus (tried servo as well) and the drive mode is continuos

I don't know if these are important, but my other gear is
Lexar 2GB and 1GB 80x CF cards. Both have been properly formatted and my buffer is not filling up faster than it should
Tamron 28-75 XR Di
Canon 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS
Canon 50mm f/1.8

The problem exists no matter what lens I shoot with and no matter the focal lenght/shutter speed or aperture

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Spec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2005, 5:19 PM   #2

Will it shoot the 5FPS in the basic sports mode setting?
Mr. Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 6:33 PM   #3

What ISO and what format (RAW, etc.) are you using? Just a thought, but higher ISOs result in larger files (at least on 300D) and that may be contributing. Also, if you're shooting at RAW+FINE then you've got a pretty large file as well.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:00 PM   #4

If you are using AI servo focus, the camera is going to refocus between each shot, and that could very well be tanking your fps. Put it in MF, or one shot and see if you get the needed fps. Otherwise, you might have a lemon. :sad:
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote