Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 25, 2005, 9:56 AM   #11

A polarizer is a special use filter and would not be used strictly for protection. I do use a circular polarizer for certain situations for the obvious reasons but ANYFILTER will degrade lens performance to some degree depending on the quality of the filter. I admit thatI'm a purist, I want the very best performance designed into the lens by the manufacturer. There is a tremendous amount of R&D, money and effortthat goes into producing a fine lens. i.e. targeted lens coatings, optic design and computer paradigm performance criteria.

You are "PAYING" for all that, why would younegate itby puttingan inferior piece of glass in front of the lens. It's not as bad as shooting your pictures through a window but you are losing something no matter how good the filter is! There is simply no filter at anyprice that matches the optic quality of an expensive lens. ThereAREsituations when a protective filter makes sense.Just be aware of whenthey don't.

Some people put plastic covers on expensive furniture. I wouldn't do that either.

tmumolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:12 AM   #12

Ive never had the uv filters off my lenses since the day of purchase, I never even thought it made any difference.:roll:
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote