Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 29, 2005, 8:28 AM   #1

I've recently started taking pictures with a conversion to Black and White in mind before shooting. And of course, i've run into the "not proper black, and not true white" problem. Or the "18% grey" problem, if you prefer.

What I don't understand is why a camera can't be programmed to change it's metering mode form an 18% grey exposure to one that meters specifially for black and white photography. Something like a setting that decides to choose the lightest/ darkest part of the image and make it the white or black point respectively instead of making the chosen metering target 18% grey?

I know you can use Exposure Compensation to adjust it, but wouldn't it be just as easy to have a pre-programmed metering mode dedicated to Black and White? It would be a firmware issue only and not affect the mechanics or construction of the camera at all......
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2005, 4:46 PM   #2

Some camera kind of let you do this...

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 9:49 AM   #3

Have you tried using the black and white setting?

I took a few that looked nice but them again I am just learning so it doesn't take much to impress me.:-)
Crow is offline   Reply With Quote