Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 6, 2005, 10:52 PM   #1

I bought a Digital Rebel XT with the EF-S 18-55 lens. Everything appeared to be working fine with the camera for the first few days. This week I borrowed a Tamron telephoto lens from a friend. While the lens will autofocus properly and appears to take photos correctly, the information that is displayed inside the viewfinder and on the information LCD on the back of the camera is garbled. Instead of seeing the aperture and shutter speeds in the viewfinder when depressing the shutter half way, all of the lines and digits flash and have nonsense characters displayed. This same problem appears on the LCD in back where all of the information is garbled so no camera settings, pictures remaining, or other information can be read. This makes utilizing the functions of the camera impossible.

The problem does not occur with the EF-S kit lens so I thought perhaps it was a function of this lens. Today I received a brand new Canon EF 50mm/F1.8 II lens and the exact same problem has occurred. The characters are garbled in the viewfinder and on the LCD though the lens appears to autofocus and take pictures as normal.

Has anyone else had an experience with this kind of problem, or is it expected to happen like this? If there is something wrong (which it appears to me must be the case) is there any fix known other than returning for a new one?

thanks for any feedback
russperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2005, 1:03 AM   #2

I haven't seen that particular problem raised before. I would call Canon support, they're usually quite good.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote