Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 22, 2005, 2:55 PM   #1

I am new to the digital SLR market. I like the feel of the 300D much better than the XT, and am not sure whether I need all the bells and whistles of the XT. My questions are as follows:

1. For a very average amature, who wants to use the camera for vacation and kid photos, (but very much likes the feels and fun of a DLSR over P&S), will the 300D give me everything I'll need?

2. What are the advantages of an XT that an average photographer will really notice?

3. What exactly is firmware (sorry for the incredibly stupid question) and what can I do with my 300D through upgraded firmware (and how do I figure out how to do that)?

4. I have an older Tamron 28-200 lens for my older Canon EOS ELan IIe. Can I use that on a Rebel 300D? Assuming I don't want to carry around multiple lenses on an extended trip I'm about to take, what lens(es) would folks stronly recommend. (If you could only take one lens, and if you could take two)?
JOJOJAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2005, 4:04 PM   #2

I'm also new to the SLR world; I got the XT like 2 weeks ago.
As anyone could tell you, there are 3 parts to a good picture: Body, Lens, and the User. I think the 300D is up for your needs. But when you say, "everything," it's a bit tough to justify why it's a good choice. Assuming that most of your pictures are variations of portraits (family) or landscape (vacation), then I don't think there's any real reason to worry about the body.

The main reason I chose the 350D over the 300D was speed. The 350 is much faster than the 300D. An example is start up time. 2 seconds for the 300D versus 0.2 seconds for the 350D. You'll also notice it if you ever take burst shots.

Other than that, I don't think many people new to the SLR would notice the improvements. Even when there are 9 custom functions in the 350D (vs. 0 in the 300D), I left them at default for now, so... not a real advantage there.

Also if you buy the kit lens, I believe the kit lens on the XT is better than the one on the 300D when it comes to wide angles.

Firmware is the software running in your camera. You usually update it through Canon's website if there's a bug and requires fixing. I believe you need to download the update onto your memory card and then select the firmware update in your camera.

However, there are some people that created a firmware update on their own, and unlocking things that you could not have normally (I.E. the fastest ISO speed on the 300D is 1600, the mod can unlock it to 3200). I don't remember the site for the modded firmware, though, but say good bye to Canon's warrenty if you use modded firmware.

I would only update if there was a serious problem with the camera that needed to be fixed.

Lastly, I'm not sure if the lens you mention is compatible with the 300D. But obviously you're looking for a general walk around lens, which means a decent zoom lens. You can look at the lens forum, or check out something like http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/ to look at user reviews on multiple lenses. The most common lens suggested are the Sigma 18-125mm, the Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, and the Tamron AF 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di Zoom. It really depends on your budget, but if you don't mind a little noise, the Tamron sounds like a great general lens.

And I'm not sure what kind of combination to have if you could have two lenses... maybe one for tele, the other for wide - normal?
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 5:16 PM   #3
Super Moderator

the 300d will more than meet the needs you have outlined.. while it has been surpassed by the rebel xt, it is still a great camera in its own right.. if you like the feel of it, by all means take advantage of the great deals onthe 300d/digirebeland enjoy it.. and yes your 28-200 will fit on it just fine... if you are looking for something superior optically, you can check out the 28-135 IS from canon, i have one and love it.. if you don't want to spend that much, check out sigma's 18-125, its a great lens for the money..

enjoy, dustin

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 9:28 AM   #4

2. What are the advantages of an XT that an average photographer will really notice?
That question starts fights around here.

I went with the XT but anyone should be happy with theRebel D.

Here is Steve's review wrap up on the XT. Give it a look.

Good Luck

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote